• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant ?ing Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akf713

I live in iowa, and my question is, My husband and I currently are renting a home. Our lease is a one year lease from dec. of 2004 to dec of 2005. We came home yesterday to find a for sale sign in our yard. We contacted our landlord and he want to sell our house b/c of family problems and he can't afford the house any more. He wants to show the house, and said he will give us a days notice before he brings someone in. And he will give us 30 days to move when he does sell the house even if its before dec. My question is, is there any way we can break our lease and move before he sells the house b/c i don't feel comfortable letting strangers into my home when i have 2 children. And I don't see how he feels we can find a sutiable home in 30 days and have time to move in that short amount of time. So what can we do? Can we move and not get stuck paying rent till he sells our house? :confused:

longneck

first off, your LL is completely wrong with the 30 days thing. just because he sells the house does not give him the right to kick you out before the end of your lease. when the new owner purchases they house, they must honor your lease.

but you want to figure out how to get out. tell him that you want out now and see what he says. whatever agreement you reach with him, make sure to get it in writing!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">