• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Robert Smith

We have a two family home in Queens, New York. The second floor apt. has been rented for 8 years to the same family of 3. The apt. was totally rennovated before they took possession. New kitchen, bath, sheetrock, etc. We have all the receipts. The tenants paid the same rent without increase for over 7 years. They gave us 1 month security. They did not want a lease. They have given us notice that they will move out before the end of December. They paid the rent for Dec. We took a real estate person to see the apt. for possible rentals and found that they destroyed the apt. Kitchen cabinet doors missing, handles broken, all sinks chipped, tiles off the bath walls and floors, all molding ripped off the doors, windows, etc. sheet rock destroyed. When confronted, they said tough - keep the deposit. Can we sue in small claims court? The estimates to repair the apt. are in the range of $5000 - $7000. By the way, he is an attorney and said go ahead try and sue me -


Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Amount of judgment you'll seek is too high for small claims. But, you do have a case.

I'm a NY litigator. If you like, call for free consult.
Sponsored Ad