• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant not allowing access /claims there is MOLD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

questions1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Have recent post under does LL have any rights?
New thread--
Tenant's attorney's letter claims there is mold, tenant moving out in 30 days, but not to contact tenant. Attorney will not give permission for me to have someone go there and look at situation. What are my rights? Please help.

xylene

Give them proper notice as defined by your lease and state law and go inpsect anyway.

Tenants don't get to have no landlord entry to the premise just because they have a lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why did you create a new thread with the exact same question?

https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/any-rights-landlord-pa-560248.html

Searchertwin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Have recent post under does LL have any rights?
New thread--
Tenant's attorney's letter claims there is mold, tenant moving out in 30 days, but not to contact tenant. Attorney will not give permission for me to have someone go there and look at situation. What are my rights? Please help.
I answered in your last thread. Sorry, didn't see this one.

questions1

no need to be so judgmental. Do not know about others, but I read every response to other thread. The attorney denying access to look at mold was an additional issue that I thought may be a different question.

HomeGuru

no need to be so judgmental. Do not know about others, but I read every response to other thread. The attorney denying access to look at mold was an additional issue that I thought may be a different question.
**A: that attorney is an idiot to deny landlord access to the unit. L has a right to investigate and correct the problem. Failure to allow access to mitigate the problem will not look good for the tenant.

Last edited:

Searchertwin

[QUOTE said:
Zigner
Of course...you're wrong. There were already several replies in the other thread. You just couldn't be bothered to look.
Yes, there were several replies BUT NOT THE ONE SHE ASKED IN THIS POST. That's why she re-posted. She states, "additional issue that I thought may be a different question.

Take your own advice, "You just couldn't be bothered to look". Take care

Last edited:

Searchertwin

Sometimes, I just ignore the above posters, they can't accept when they are being question. And you are right, they did not respond to that certain question you asked. The other questions you did, was answered. Take care

questions1

I have hired someone to go in and access the state of the house and the "mold". If, for some reason there is mold, particularly extensive, is the tenant responsible for any costs associated with removal if it could have been dealt with sooner /cheaper? Can his deposit go against this?

Searchertwin

I have hired someone to go in and access the state of the house and the "mold". If, for some reason there is mold, particularly extensive, is the tenant responsible for any costs associated with removal if it could have been dealt with sooner /cheaper? Can his deposit go against this?
Yes, once he vacates and you access the damage, you can deduct from the deposit. Keep an itemized list of expenses.
Why? Because tenant neglect in informing you in writing by crr letter, of the problem and not giving you time to fix the problem.

Have the person take good clear pictures of the mold and everything else while they are in the place. I think you will find there is just normal moisture problems which caused the mold, like around the tub. He was trying to scare you. Stick to what I told you before. "There was no written letter by crr to you to inform you of the problem which in turn you could not repair if you did not know." Good luck, I just hate when tenants try to play the "mold card".

questions1

Help!

Please see early in thread for more details. Received letter from atty to not contact tenant. Have arranged for contractor to go into house and look tomorrow. Please see below for example of emails exchanged. Please see below.

Mr. J-
The photos that were sent to the previous email you provided were bounced by the server due to the file size. I have opened this email account. Please re-send the photos to this account. I also need to know a description of where the mold is, I have been asked by the people I have contacted to describe the location and the size.

Ms. X
Mr. A will be present for your contractor's review tomorrow. Have previously attempted to email you various photos. You advised that the email address you provided me could not accept the data volume associated with the pictures. That being said, you can get a description and any photos you want from your contractor. Your communications with my office are becoming harassing. Please discontinue further communications with my office except through your retained attorney.

Esq.
Law Firm

(

Mr. J-
This email is to confirm the information I gave to your administrative assistant on the phone at 11 AM today. I have hired a contractor to go to my house at . I have not received the copies of the photos or a description as requested via phone and the previous email. He will be there to inspect the house and take photographs of the house based on your suggestion that there is "mold". Your administrative assistant said that she gave you the information and that you would relay it to Mr. A, so that he can meet him at the house if he chooses to do so.

Ms. X
Mr. A will be present for your contractor's review tomorrow. Have previously attempted to email you various photos. You advised that the email address you provided me could not accept the data volume associated with the pictures. That being said, you can get a description and any photos you want from your contractor. Your communications with my office are becoming harassing. Please discontinue further communications with my office except through your retained attorney.

IF contractor finds mold, or any other issue, and needs to go back in, WHO am I supposed to now notify??? Do I send another email to this atty? Warning to nice LL's out there. Just because a tenant seems nice, etc., be very careful. Do not give them discounted rent, and do not believe that they will not cause you aggravation.

HomeGuru

Please see early in thread for more details. Received letter from atty to not contact tenant. Have arranged for contractor to go into house and look tomorrow. Please see below for example of emails exchanged. Please see below.

Mr. J-
The photos that were sent to the previous email you provided were bounced by the server due to the file size. I have opened this email account. Please re-send the photos to this account. I also need to know a description of where the mold is, I have been asked by the people I have contacted to describe the location and the size.

Ms. X

Esq.
Law Firm

(

Mr. J-
This email is to confirm the information I gave to your administrative assistant on the phone at 11 AM today. I have hired a contractor to go to my house at . I have not received the copies of the photos or a description as requested via phone and the previous email. He will be there to inspect the house and take photographs of the house based on your suggestion that there is "mold". Your administrative assistant said that she gave you the information and that you would relay it to Mr. A, so that he can meet him at the house if he chooses to do so.

Ms. X

IF contractor finds mold, or any other issue, and needs to go back in, WHO am I supposed to now notify??? Do I send another email to this atty? Warning to nice LL's out there. Just because a tenant seems nice, etc., be very careful. Do not give them discounted rent, and do not believe that they will not cause you aggravation.
**A: we are not your attorney. Hire one now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">