• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant rents basement and started bringing in a lot of people.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michelle214

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello,

I want to inform myself on what should we do.
We have a house and we rented out our basement to a couple, they have been here for some months and everything has being working great until now recently they have been bringing in a lot of people about 15 or so at all different kinds of times including early morning 2:00am, 3:00am, 4:00am. School activities purpose I want to be fair but at the same time im not ok with so many people coming in to my house they use the front entrance and they have to put in the alarm code and that makes noise plus i dont want other people to know my house code to come in. can i get some advices.

P.S. The contract states this ". Occupants. The said premises shall be occupied by no more than 2 adults and 0 children."

Thanks,

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello,

I want to inform myself on what should we do.
We have a house and we rented out our basement to a couple, they have been here for some months and everything has being working great until now recently they have been bringing in a lot of people about 15 or so at all different kinds of times including early morning 2:00am, 3:00am, 4:00am. School activities purpose I want to be fair but at the same time im not ok with so many people coming in to my house they use the front entrance and they have to put in the alarm code and that makes noise plus i dont want other people to know my house code to come in. can i get some advices.

P.S. The contract states this ". Occupants. The said premises shall be occupied by no more than 2 adults and 0 children."

Thanks,
Do you LEGALLY rent out your basement?
Ideas about what? Your tenants are allowed to have guests.

michelle214

Do you LEGALLY rent out your basement? YES

Ideas about what? Your tenants are allowed to have guests.

I do know that tenants are allowed to have guests and i am ok with that.
When i said "ideas" i meant on what should we tell the tenant since today we are going to talk about this issue since she said that this was going to be only for one day and now is has been going for the whole week and we asked for how long is going to last and she said she doesnt know, we cant have so many people coming in and out everyday and specially at thos am hours. When we first rented out the basement she said that it was going to be her and boyfried only not anymore people coming in.

BL

If they are month to month tenants , inform them you will be giving them proper notice to vacate under your State's laws , if this activity does not cease at once .

Otherwise look into eviction for being a nuisance .

If they are being disruptive call the police and file a report .

If they are sleeping there too , the codes for occupancy are most likely being violated , and you can bring that to the officer's attention .

Cvillecpm

If your neighbors know of the EXCEPTIONAL traffic they should call the police and you may have a police raid on your hands....traffic at all hours is a sure sign of drug dealers.....get rid of them immediately.

michelle214

Thank you for the advices they are very much apreciated.

Cvillecpm- I never thought about what you just told me you are right and i think i am going to tell my tenant that this is our main reason for not wanting this traffic at all times in our house. Thanks so much.:)

BL

Look , if you are allowing overcrowding , and god forbid a fire should break out a kill some or all of these people , you could be held responsible .

DO-NOT allow overcrowding .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">