• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Rights After Fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Edenbound

For the past two years I've been renting a condo located in southern California. One morning last month the condo caught fire while I was away(electrical fire, determined by fire investigator to be an accident)and sustained extensive damage. Fortunately the structure itself was covered under the condominium complex's master insurance policy, unfortunately the contents were not insured and I lost everything I owned. Here's my problem - since the fire I have not been granted access to the condo at all - the locks on the doors where changed and I wasn't given a key nor combination to the lock box. Consequently I haven't been able to sort through the contents to determine what if anything is salvageable. The one item that I was most concerned about was an urn that contained my daughters ashes - I'd expressed my concern regarding the urn to the insurance adjusters, the fire inspector and the property manager, and I left a note on the door for the contractors as well. I was assured that nothing would happen until I'd had the chance to enter the property and search for the urn. This past Saturday contractors (hired by the owner) entered the condo to clear it out and start rebuilding, I was not informed beforehand, nor where the contractors told about the urn that I was looking for. I spoke with them Saturday evening and was told that they had packed everything that they deemed salvageable, however they knew nothing of the urn and I'm not certain if it's still in the condo, or in one of the dumpsters that they used to clear out the condo. What rights, if any, do I have in this situation?
Thank you,

Eden

L

LL

You spoke to everyone except the one who controls the right to enter the property: you spoke to the insurance adjusters, the fire inspector and the property manager, and I (you)left a note on the door for the contractors. But you did not speak to the condo owner, who controls the right of entry.

E

Edenbound

I've tried reaching the owner via telephone without sucess. I was able to relay a message to her via a mutual friend, however I have not received a response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">