• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant rights to sublet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dduglass

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?tn
I am in a term lease and need to move out, there is a couple that will take up my lease (w/good credit) but the LL has not agreed to meet with them , the lease reads " without the prior written consent of lessor an assignment or sub-letting shall be absolutely null and void and shall at lessors option terminate this agreement", my question to you is, whats to happen if i do sublet to cover my losses? and what can happen to the couple that sublet from me?

HomeGuru

dduglass said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?tn
I am in a term lease and need to move out, there is a couple that will take up my lease (w/good credit) but the LL has not agreed to meet with them , the lease reads " without the prior written consent of lessor an assignment or sub-letting shall be absolutely null and void and shall at lessors option terminate this agreement", my question to you is, whats to happen if i do sublet to cover my losses? and what can happen to the couple that sublet from me?

**A: when you asked L those questions, what response did you get?

dduglass

The couple that wants to take up my lease was told by LL that I was going to be held to my lease and that there rent would be $300 per month more than what she is charging me, and the couple agreed with the new amount, but the LL said that she was going to let my lease expire b4 re renting,,I have given 30 day notice, but she wont release me...

HomeGuru

dduglass said:
The couple that wants to take up my lease was told by LL that I was going to be held to my lease and that there rent would be $300 per month more than what she is charging me, and the couple agreed with the new amount, but the LL said that she was going to let my lease expire b4 re renting,,I have given 30 day notice, but she wont release me...
**A: if that is true then you would not be liable as L is not mitigating damages.

dduglass

HomeGuru said:
**A: if that is true then you would not be liable as L is not mitigating damages.
If the LL is not aware of the term you mentioned, should I advise her, or just let her take me to court and let the judge make the call.

HomeGuru

dduglass said:
If the LL is not aware of the term you mentioned, should I advise her, or just let her take me to court and let the judge make the call.
**A: best to communicate now and continue to do so.

dduglass

I can forsee the LL dragging out the process till my lease is up, then sue for back rent and legal expenses . what a system......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">