• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jnldargis

What is the name of your state? Nevada
I am in need of help. My husband and I and our 6 children are in a 1 year lease. Due to financial difficulties we were $150 short on our rent this month. We paid $1100 so far. Today, July 24th, we received a certified letter from the landlord stating that she wants all past due rent ($150.00) plus all late fees and rent for August ($1250) by August 1st or she wants us to move out by July 31st. Can she do this? On our lease we have a 3 day grace period so legally doesn't she have to give us until the 3rd to pay August rent? Can she evict us just from owing $150 plus late fees?:(

D

deweydecimal

YES she can......you have not paid the rent in full she could have started eviction proceedings 2 weeks ago...so you are very lucky she waited so long...hoping you would be smart enough to know better.

Remember you made a personal choice to have 6 kids, you could have stopped at 2! So unless the landlord is the father of your kids, and you can sue for child support, then you have to learn to budget better then you have or get another job.

Last edited:
J

jlw1000

What about the landlord's rights? Your rent is due in full by the first of the month. Owing $150 from the first is unacceptable. Pay the $1250 by the first and your problems will be over. This should not be a problem since I am sure you intend to pay the past due rent & the have Aug rent paid on time.

The landlord does have a right to give you a pay or quit notice. The 3 day grace ended July 4th, since you still owe a portion of July's rent. The landlord has given you a generous extension. Instead of whining, be grateful. Show your appreciation by paying your rent in a timely fashion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">