• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lmurp

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I live in an apartment complex which I have 6 months remaining on my lease. When I woke up this morning most of my apartment was soaking wet from a sewage backup. The sewer company has fixed the backup.

The property mangager has only offered to pay for a hotel (I am staying with friends). She said they do not have another apartment that I can move my furniture to in order to avoid further damage. She also said they would not replace the carpeting and that I can move back in when they have dried.

Are they required to provide another apartment? Shouldn't they be required to replace the carpet?

L

loserrr

Maybe....

First they did offer you a hotel room which is what a good landlord should do...

Second they do have a professional carpet service which will disinfect deorderize and clean the carpet, if they think it needs replacing then you might be able to convince the landlord to replace it before you move back in......

Third you should have had renters insurance so that any damage to your stuff would be covered.

Most landlords would trust the advice of a professional carpet cleaning service over a tenant anyway....hint hint wink wink...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">