• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lyngcool

What is the name of your state? New york city.
I was wondering if you could ansewer some questions for me let me start by giving some backround I have been living at my residence for 21 years ands I have always paid teh rent on time. I have been living in my currrent apt for 7 years for this 7years i have never recived heat in my apt in the winter time. This year i could not take it io have a new born baby that has been hospitialized once and his been sick repeaditly since he has been home. I have complained every year and the mangment has done nothing. There was also a fire in my building 4 years ago and my apt had some fire damage, the damage has returned and no one has done anything to fix it. I had mold growing on the walls of me and my sons bed room, and the floor is starting to gfive way. I have no fire alrams in my apt. and my water is too hot. I recently had a city insepctor at my house and they issued a violation to my building for the problems in my apartment and still nothing has been done. I want to know if i have a case that i can take to court to sue my building. This problems are becoming some serious issues for me and my family, can you please help me.

FarmerJ

Since inspections came out did you get a copy of the actual work order and ask them what they will do if the LL refuses to comply ? I think thats the one thing you need to do today .

HomeGuru

lyngcool said:
What is the name of your state? New york city.
I was wondering if you could ansewer some questions for me let me start by giving some backround I have been living at my residence for 21 years ands I have always paid teh rent on time. I have been living in my currrent apt for 7 years for this 7years i have never recived heat in my apt in the winter time. This year i could not take it io have a new born baby that has been hospitialized once and his been sick repeaditly since he has been home. I have complained every year and the mangment has done nothing. There was also a fire in my building 4 years ago and my apt had some fire damage, the damage has returned and no one has done anything to fix it. I had mold growing on the walls of me and my sons bed room, and the floor is starting to gfive way. I have no fire alrams in my apt. and my water is too hot. I recently had a city insepctor at my house and they issued a violation to my building for the problems in my apartment and still nothing has been done. I want to know if i have a case that i can take to court to sue my building. This problems are becoming some serious issues for me and my family, can you please help me.
**A: have you given thought over the past 7 years to maybe moving out someday?

L

lyngcool

when the insector came to my apartment he gave me a copy of the paper work and posted a violation in the building for the landlord stating that their was no heat in my apartment and the the temp. of my water was too high. The violation stated that the landlord had ten days to correct the problem and every day the the problem was not fixed the building would have to pay a fine of $275.00. Then i was sent another paper in the mail that said that the LL recieved the violation and would comply. the ten days have passed and nothing has been done in my apartment some nights the temp. in my daughtyer and grandchilds room is 42 degrees. The LL isn't taking this issues seriouly because he probably has heat. I have heard from other tenants in my building that have the same problme with there heat that when they have tried to contact the LL he say don't call me with this complaints. Take them to the office in the building i dont have time for this.

L

lyngcool

when the insector came to my apartment he gave me a copy of the paper work and posted a violation in the building for the landlord stating that their was no heat in my apartment and the the temp. of my water was too high. The violation stated that the landlord had ten days to correct the problem and every day the the problem was not fixed the building would have to pay a fine of $275.00. Then i was sent another paper in the mail that said that the LL recieved the violation and would comply. the ten days have passed and nothing has been done in my apartment some nights the temp. in my daughtyer and grandchilds room is 42 degrees. The LL isn't taking this issues seriouly because he probably has heat. I have heard from other tenants in my building that have the same problme with there heat that when they have tried to contact the LL he say don't call me with this complaints. Take them to the office in the building i dont have time for this. the only thing that i would like to know is if i have a case

FarmerJ

you say you want to know if you have a case ? a case for what ?????? you called your citys housing inspections . and if the LL doesnt take action call your city inspections again and ask them what the procedure is they will take for a LL who is not complying with repair order . If your unit is condemned youre able to prove then that youre LL broke lease . ONCE that happens then you should see a atty and discuss the subject constructive eviction .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">