• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TENANT RIGHTS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KRISTALYNN

I apologize if my first posting was confusing, but it is to me also. My mother-in-law has paying reduced rent due to low-income ($350/month) since her divorce. She was notified last week that her rent was being raised to $700/month now that she is considered a full time employee at her job. She was told that she will have to pay back rent of $400 for Nov and the full $750 for Dec (by Dec 1st) or she and her two minor children will be evicted. Does she have any choice here other than to pay them or move out and try to find a new place to live and come up with a security deposit in less than a week? It find it hard to believe that they can just do that on such short notice. Can they?

Thank you.
Krista Hannula

This was my original message :
I received a desperate call from my mother-in-law today and need some advice. She is divorced (less than 2 years) and has custody of 2 children (ages 10 & 15) that live with her in Appleton, WI. She has been paying $350/month rent through housing assistance for an old 3-bdrm duplex. She received a phone call a few days ago informing her that her rent was being raised to $750/month effective back to Nov. 1.

When she originally applied for the assistance, she was only considered a part-time employee at a local hospital and worked as many hours as they had available (sometimes exceeding 40). Since then, a full-time position opened and she took it. Housing is telling her that she is required to pay the additional $400 for the month of November along with the new rent of $750 by Dec. 1 or she will be evicted. She hadn't notified them of her full-time status since they have be doing regular assessments. She makes less than $10/hour and it is impossible for her to pay $750/month for rent. This leaves her with less than 1 week to find a place for her and her 2 girls to live and come up with security deposit, since they are claiming she owes the additional $400 for November and are sure to keep her original security for that.

Does she have any rights here? Would can she do? This whole thing seems impossible. Any information you can provide would be of great help.

Thank you for your time!
K Hannula

[Edited by KRISTALYNN on 11-27-2000 at 02:09 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">