• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mickeygb

Tenent Rights on Visitors

I rent the upstairs 3 bedroom aprartment In New York. I invited my brother who is currently in the Military to visit for the holidays at the last miniute. When he arrived it was late in the evening and I left early in the morning for work.MY landlord approched him on his way out that morning and told hime to get his stuff and get out that he could not visit. I had a converstaion with her that evening and she told me I must approve my visitor with her even if for only one night. I told her that was rediculious he is my brother and he will be here for the holidays and then return to Kentucky. She told me that my brother could not spend the night and the next morning on our way out she called the police who said she was a bit nuts. What can I do in this case and does she have the right to tell me who can visit and who cannot. He does not live there. As I said he is a memeber of the untied states army. She states it is her roof and what she says goes and if she does not want a man in my apartment then thats how is is going to be. I pay monthy in cash and receive a receipt and no where in my lease can I find I must notify her of all guess.

[Edited by Mickeygb on 12-12-2000 at 11:53 AM]

L

LL

I don't know anything about NY law, but I am sure that it doesn't allow her to do that.

What can you do?

You can move;

You can shout at her;

Try sending her a letter saying that you don't believe that she has that authority, and if she thinks that she does, to send you a letter explaining that authority. Most people are reluctant to put anything in writing at all, much less put down something that they don't know anything about.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

In NYS, we have the "roommate law" which states that at least one UNRELATED person can live in the premises, regardless of what the lease agreement states. Your LL cannot do what she is trying to do.

I'm admitted in NYS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">