• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant will vacate if another room is rented.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a live in landlord in a 3 bedroom home. I have rented out one room along with the bathroom and things have been fine. I recently brought it to her attention that I am contemplating renting out the other room. She has no objections if it was a guy, but if it is a girl she says she can't stay, she couldn't tolerate two women under one roof. Now the contract doesn't stipulate anything regarding renting the other room nor does it touch upon future tenants or the possibility of renting out the other room. If I move forward with this she says she will have to move. Basically breach the contract. From my point of view as the landlord I technically didn't even have to bring it to her attention, I could have just done it. Maybe I'm off base. So basically my question is....can an tenant up and leave if the land lord wishes to rent the other room?

HomeGuru

mark1210 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a live in landlord in a 3 bedroom home. I have rented out one room along with the bathroom and things have been fine. I recently brought it to her attention that I am contemplating renting out the other room. She has no objections if it was a guy, but if it is a girl she says she can't stay, she couldn't tolerate two women under one roof. Now the contract doesn't stipulate anything regarding renting the other room nor does it touch upon future tenants or the possibility of renting out the other room. If I move forward with this she says she will have to move. Basically breach the contract. From my point of view as the landlord I technically didn't even have to bring it to her attention, I could have just done it. Maybe I'm off base. So basically my question is....can an tenant up and leave if the land lord wishes to rent the other room?
**A: no, but keep the peace and rent the room to a guy.

TomBrooklyn

Does the lease specify she gets full use of the bathroom or she only gets to share it? If the new tenant will be sharing her bathroom, I'd say your lucky if she will tolerate anyone doing that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">