• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants and condemned house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mollym.sequoia@

Farmer J,
While I'm thankful for everybody's reply, yours was the one that pointed me in the right direction. Logical advice beyond "go see a lawyer" is much appreciated :) Off to see the attorney and insurance agent tomorrow. I'll update as things progress.

HRZ

TAke a copy of the condemnation notice with you ....there can be local variations of what all is in said notice ....if the City bars access and you secure it that's one thing but if you jump a step and improperly lock out a tenant in CA it can be very expensive step.

FarmerJ

HRZ with condemnation it is so arguable that it is not a lock out if a city has ordered tenants to vacate! that its not funny, BUT as to any idea from city that tenants could move back in after repairs are done , Its just not going to be the ones who caused the damage , even in CA where tenants have a lot of rights compared to other states No city is going to force LLs to let the tenants who damaged a house move back in since that not only would give tenants a chance to destroy a home again but along the way cause so many problems in the neighbor that home is in that in the end if a neighborhood loses value it can lead to things like homes values dropping , more houses on a block getting that same infection which could in the end get people giving a city a bad reputation and snowballing more and more downward.

HRZ

IF that is what notice says I woluld agree ....Given that it is CA where almost anything is in tenants favor and may result in a payment of move out expenses etc ..in OPs shoes I'd want my lawyer to confirm ...and I fully agree never to have these as tenants again . A city might be quick to post the notice but slow to take the heat of putting tenants out on street ...

In meantime might be prudent to have a "spotter" nearby and call police each time building is entered.

HRZ

My gut reaction as a Long term LL but elsewhere is that a clear notice of how to contact you and secure locks as posted by FarmerJ is prudent . Secure every door and wndow ...around me the insurance firms have some specific requirements as to how to board it up ...check what is applicable in your area .

You might also consider some alarm system that lets you know if building is entered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">