• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dvonz

Wisconsin. Our tenant paid her 1st month and after she got in, has paid nothing. Didn't pay all of security either. We are starting eviction process and want to change over utilities into my name after we evict her. The Ferrellgas company said she has never paid any bill and we have to pay it to get it switched over in name. Also, she took some of the furniture we had in there. So, she doesnt pay rent, doesn't pay her bills,steals our furniture and will probably squat there until the sheriff kicks her out. Then we might have to store her carp. The laws against landlords are bull**** and deadbeat tenants know this. My question is, if she is an adult and signs her name to get utilities, why are we held to pay her bills too. Can a lawyer beat this and force her to pay? We are having her arrested for stealing the furniture as a last case.

STEPHAN

Well you are an adult, too. Why did you let her move in without a security deposit? Did you do a credit and criminal check? Did you check her income? Why did you not start action right away when she did not pay?

racer72

Wisconsin. Our tenant paid her 1st month and after she got in, has paid nothing. Didn't pay all of security either. We are starting eviction process and want to change over utilities into my name after we evict her. The Ferrellgas company said she has never paid any bill and we have to pay it to get it switched over in name. Also, she took some of the furniture we had in there. So, she doesnt pay rent, doesn't pay her bills,steals our furniture and will probably squat there until the sheriff kicks her out. Then we might have to store her carp. The laws against landlords are bull**** and deadbeat tenants know this. My question is, if she is an adult and signs her name to get utilities, why are we held to pay her bills too. Can a lawyer beat this and force her to pay? We are having her arrested for stealing the furniture as a last case.
Welcome to the world of being a landlord. I learned the hard way when I became a landlord. The bills have to be paid if you want them in your name, plan on paying them. The arrest won't happen, the police are going to call it a civil matter. You can sue the deadbeat for all your expenses but don't plan of getting paid. The good part, your losses may be tax deductible.

dvonz

Stephen, she has no criminal background. Nothing in courts so I suppose that's why she put her name on lease. She paid part of security but not all. Never received the rest. This is our first rental so I guess it's learn the hard way. Why is this not considered a crime though when furniture is stolen from rental? The main question I had on this post is about the gas company bill and why she isnt responsible for paying it after it was on lease?

Gail in Georgia

"The Ferrellgas company said she has never paid any bill and we have to pay it to get it switched over in name. "

Was it up to your tenant to get the gas turned on in her name? If so, I'd suggest to the Ferrellgas company if they have an issue with this person never paying her bill, it is up to them to chase her down to get their money.

Gail

dvonz

"The Ferrellgas company said she has never paid any bill and we have to pay it to get it switched over in name. "

Was it up to your tenant to get the gas turned on in her name? If so, I'd suggest to the Ferrellgas company if they have an issue with this person never paying her bill, it is up to them to chase her down to get their money.

Gail
Yes, we told her to put it in her name,which she finally did after we received 2 bills and MANY MANY MANY calls to her. A worthless tenant like her should be dealt with harshly. I want to destroy her credit for as long as I can. Can I report her to all three credit agency's?

FarmerJ

I get it that Ferrell wants its money , its a propane company and they have different rules than natural gas pipeline companies. If your in a area where there is no other propane providers then your so stuck with having to pay it first then sue the tenant for the money ( doesn't mean your ever gonna get the money) with civil suit for unpaid rent & any damage to property and last but not least un paid propane bills in the future some other landlord is going to discover this information when they screen her and it can interfere with the quality or location of future rental housing options for her. Next time around what you may want to do is to have on hand a application for service from Ferrell for a prospective tenant to fill out at the time they are applying for your unit and do not let them move in unless they apply for service or have Ferrell restrict the account to COD only with no credit options. Or lastly a separate propane deposit. ( By chance is Ferrell the only propane provider in your area , I work with people who live spread out from Balsam LK to Siren , Danbury , St Croix falls , Fredrick and have told me in some instances who they have is the only propane provider in the area and some times there are rules like one younger woman Ive worked with tells me that her provider will not deliver less than 350 gallons at a time, another staff person Ive worked with used a provider who had very very strict terms for credit that were so rigid it was just easier to be COD.)

STEPHAN

You are way to emotional for this.

Rather than being upset about the tenant, realize that you made many mistakes, that caused this. You gave her the keys without full deposit. You did not act properly when she was late with her first payment etc.

Being a LL needs that you follow certain rules and regulations.

Consider using a property manager or study a few books about this.

(I came here many years ago and got similar responses. I learned my lesson. I have many properties now and no problem anymore with tenants.)

Last edited:

STEPHAN

http://www.landlordguidance.com/eviction-notice-forms/wisconsin-eviction/

Have you given her a 5 day notice?

single317dad

I'm surprised Ferrell delivered without payment up front. I know people with excellent credit who can't get one drop from them until they've paid for a full tank.

To your question, she is responsible for the utility bills during her tenancy, but holding her responsible will not be worth your time or effort. You definitely should get a judgment against her for eviction, due rent, and other amounts owed to you, but don't expect to collect much if any of those funds unless she turns in a winning lottery ticket in her own name.

dvonz

The story was she is going through divorce, has a baby and just had surgery. We were trying to help her out, but her actions will cause me to lose all compasion for future tenants. 5 day notice is done. Court set up for monday, even though her lease is up saturday. I want her legally out so she doesn't holdover stay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">