• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants have not paid rent-advice on eviction PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

questions1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I have a small house in PA. The current tenants have been late on rent every month-typically on the 6th or 7th, (and there are actually other issues with them, including severe storm damage that occurred over the summer that they did not inform of until water poured through the ceiling into the home. I did not know the extent of the damage until seeing the house and this was costly to repair). I am currently working in NC. The lease states that if the rent is not paid by the 12th of the month, the landlord can begin eviction proceedings. With the distance, I am seeking your advice, as I read that a letter needs to be delivered to them or posted on the door with 10 days notice of intent to evict. I have sent them two emails which is how they have asked to be communicated with, asking them kindly to inform me of their intent to pay the rent for this month. Any suggestions on how I should proceed would be appreciated.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I have a small house in PA. The current tenants have been late on rent every month-typically on the 6th or 7th, (and there are actually other issues with them, including severe storm damage that occurred over the summer that they did not inform of until water poured through the ceiling into the home. I did not know the extent of the damage until seeing the house and this was costly to repair). I am currently working in NC. The lease states that if the rent is not paid by the 12th of the month, the landlord can begin eviction proceedings. With the distance, I am seeking your advice, as I read that a letter needs to be delivered to them or posted on the door with 10 days notice of intent to evict. I have sent them two emails which is how they have asked to be communicated with, asking them kindly to inform me of their intent to pay the rent for this month. Any suggestions on how I should proceed would be appreciated.
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/consumers.aspx?id=405
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/states/pennsylvania/renting/tenantrights

Just Blue

Please clarify:

Are the tenants late as of today?
Can you prove, in any way, that the tenants were aware of the extent of the summer storm damage, and willfully, disregarded it?

questions1

Landlord rights PA

Please clarify:

Are the tenants late as of today?
Can you prove, in any way, that the tenants were aware of the extent of the summer storm damage, and willfully, disregarded it?
The the lease states that the rent is late on the fourth of the month. I do not know that I can prove that they knew the extent of the damage, unless I paid the roofers to make a statement. In the meantime, I would like to deal with them not paying the rent/ doing what is necessary to write a letter to them, and proceeding from this distance on a very low budget.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The the lease states that the rent is late on the fourth of the month. I do not know that I can prove that they knew the extent of the damage, unless I paid the roofers to make a statement. In the meantime, I would like to deal with them not paying the rent/ doing what is necessary to write a letter to them, and proceeding from this distance on a very low budget.
You gave them until the 12th.

RRevak

So is rent due on the 12th every month? Because your statement about them typically paying on the 6th or 7th is confusing. Have you asked why the rent is always late? Does the rent due date fall just before a particular payday for example? And if you can't clearly demonstrate that they willfully disregarded the extent of the damage then how do you know they were even aware of it?

questions1

Landlord rights PA

So is rent due on the 12th every month? Because your statement about them typically paying on the 6th or 7th is confusing. Have you asked why the rent is always late? Does the rent due date fall just before a particular payday for example? And if you can't clearly demonstrate that they willfully disregarded the extent of the damage then how do you know they were even aware of it?
The rent is due on the first. The lease states that is is late on the 4th, and that if no rent is paid by the 12th, the landlord can use legal means to evict. They have been asked about the rent being paid late. The husband, a young man is the one to respond with things such as "he feels like it", "he chose to pay another bill first, etc.".

As far as the damage, they did know; he himself sent a short video after he said it had been going on for two months. When asked why he had not contacted me, he had no explanation. The roofers were contacted to give estimates after a man who did a repair on the electrical asked me if I knew there was water pouring down the wall in the house, and that he himself asked the tenant why he had not told me about this. This is a young couple where the man has been very rude and uncooperative. Again, at this time, I am seeking advice on simply proceeding correctly on addressing them and then the next steps to evict them if necessary. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">