• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants moved and never returned keys. Help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lrd102

I live in NJ.

My tenants moved out on 31 October with NO NOTICE. They haven't even given me back the keys to the apartment. They told me on Friday afternoon they'd be back to clean up and get the last of their stuff that evening. Well, they have not been back. They left the apartment dirty, damaged my kitchen floor which was brand new when they moved in, damaged one of my doors, left an unfinished paint job on one of the walls, and I have no security because they told me to use it for Oct rent when they couldn't come up with the rent money. They still have some of their belongings in the apartment (fan, bed, toys, bike, curtains, etc). Can I get rid of their stuff? What legal action can I take? Thank you.

acmb05

I live in NJ.

My tenants moved out on 31 October with NO NOTICE. They haven't even given me back the keys to the apartment. They told me on Friday afternoon they'd be back to clean up and get the last of their stuff that evening. Well, they have not been back. They left the apartment dirty, damaged my kitchen floor which was brand new when they moved in, damaged one of my doors, left an unfinished paint job on one of the walls, and I have no security because they told me to use it for Oct rent when they couldn't come up with the rent money. They still have some of their belongings in the apartment (fan, bed, toys, bike, curtains, etc). Can I get rid of their stuff? What legal action can I take? Thank you.
Evict them. Another option would be to check on your states abandonment laws. Btw they have not paid rent because that is NOT what the security deposit is for.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in NJ.

So you DID have notice. Just not proper notice...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">