• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants Privacy issue. Is this tenant legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

popeye23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) CA
I live in a residential hotel in Ca..At present there are no security cameras.
A neighbor has had problems with another tenant, (not myself), and
has installed a video/sound camera whose wire leads directly from his room to a full view of the hallway. I believe this was done without permission from
hotel management. Additionally, where-as a tenant may install a camera in his/the room under a "reasonable expectation of privacy", in a public hallway there is no such expectation, and I believe only hotel management has the right to install such cameras. Is this correct? Please advise with what Ca law has to say about this issue, and with specific code numbers.
Thank you in advance.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) CA
I live in a residential hotel in Ca..At present there are no security cameras.
A neighbor has had problems with another tenant, (not myself), and
has installed a video/sound camera whose wire leads directly from his room to a full view of the hallway. I believe this was done without permission from
hotel management. Additionally, where-as a tenant may install a camera in his/the room under a "reasonable expectation of privacy", in a public hallway there is no such expectation, and I believe only hotel management has the right to install such cameras. Is this correct? Please advise with what Ca law has to say about this issue, and with specific code numbers.
Thank you in advance.
**A: why is this an issue for you and what did the hotel management tell you when you told them about the camera?

popeye23

**A: why is this an issue for you and what did the hotel management tell you when you told them about the camera?
This is the weekend, and management is not here. I will inform them Monday Your response does not answer the question however. Is what this tenant has done legal according to Ca law? i.e done as an individual, rather than an entity such as a hotel corporation?

HomeGuru

This is the weekend, and management is not here. I will inform them Monday Your response does not answer the question however. Is what this tenant has done legal according to Ca law? i.e done as an individual, rather than an entity such as a hotel corporation?
**A: what are not answering my questions?

Banned_Princess

At the risk of being redundant, the question is very simple. Is what this tenant doing legal (under Ca law,) or not? The answer is either a yes or no.
yes. with the consent of the building owner or management.

actuall no. if it is a public area, not on private property, unless there are signs posted forbidding video recording, it is fair game.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

At the risk of being redundant, the question is very simple. Is what this tenant doing legal (under Ca law,) or not? The answer is either a yes or no.
**A: not so fast bucko. We do not have all the info in order to render advice.
First of all, you have no evidence that the hotel management did not give permission. You are guessing.

popeye23

yes. with the consent of the building owner or management.

actuall no. if it is a public area, not on private property, unless there are signs posted forbidding video recording, it is fair game.
Thank you for your response. Let me try to clarify this. I am speaking about a hallway in which tenants that live here, come and go freely in a public setting, but the entire residential hotel is private property. So, it is a public area, on private property. I may have the terms public and private confused however. Maybe the entire residential hotel is private for "tenants" only. There are no signs either way, allowing or forbidding surveillance camera.

Banned_Princess

Thank you for your response. Let me try to clarify this. I am speaking about a hallway in which tenants that live here, come and go freely in a public setting, but the entire residential hotel is private property. So, it is a public area, on private property. I may have the terms public and private confused however. Maybe the entire residential hotel is private for "tenants" only. There are no signs either way, allowing or forbidding surveillance camera.
well then if the management says its ok, then it is ok.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">