• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenants responsibility for terminating lease early

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dancrouch

I recently moved to Texas and vacated a rental property(with notice) in Wisconsin 5 months before my lease expired. I have since paid for the month of November for the remainder of the lease. I received a bill today due in 14 days for the remaining four months minus my security deposit resulting in a payment of approximately $1775. Dont they have to attempt to rerent the apartment before giving me some final bill for the remainder of the lease? Wouldnt they be double dipping if they then rerent the apartment with me not knowing? Anybody know a good lawyer?

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

I don't know any attorneys in Wisconsin.

In New York State, with residential leases, if tenant vacates early, LL must attempt to "mitigate" damages. This means LL must attempt to re-rent premises to lessen amount of money owed by T to LL. I suspect same out there.

You're on the right track re the law and seeking atty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">