• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee Non-Biological Caretaker Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Tennessee.

My girlfriend has been taking care of her friend's 2 year old daughter since she was born. The mother has lived with her on and off, but has never provided emotional or financial support for the girl. The mother's intent was to let my girlfriend adopt the girl from the very beginning. Due to financial issues, she was not able to complete the adoption originally started about a year ago. Since that time, the mother has moved out leaving the girl with my girlfriend, however, the biological father has started requesting visitation. He has never paid any kind of support either, but since the mother does not really care about the girl one way or another, she tells him he can take the girl and that he needs to work it out with my girlfriend. The girl is scared of him, does not know him, and the last time he took her, he kept her for 3 days longer than he said, and would not answer or return any phone calls.

The question I have is... does my girlfriend have any legal chance of adopting this girl if the father wants to fight it? Does the fact that she has provided all of the financial and emotional support for this girl count at all? Does the emotional well being of the girl count? She believes that my girlfriend is her mother. Even when they tried to tell her who her real mother was, this only upset her because her 'real' mother has never cared for her at all.

This girl IS my girlfriend's daughter in every way but biological and legal... but does she have a prayer of winning this?

Thanks.What is the name of your state?
Last edited:


Under the Radar Member
Your g/f should talk to a lawyer, but if Dad contests it, she's got little chance of keeping the child over him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential