• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee unemployment tiers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JumpnJil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I worked a seasonal job from 2006-2010 and would file for unemployment between seasons. I went back to work before all the extensions had been paid in 2009 (BYE 4-2009) I worked until 7-2010 and then filed for new benefits in 10-2011. I drew my original payments for approx 11 weeks, then I was switched back to the 2009 extension for several tier extensions. When that ran out, I was told that they would switch me back to the 2010 file. I moved out of the state in September 2011, but I filed a change of address. When the extension ran out,, I called the local (TN) unemployment office and she informed me that I had exhausted my benefits. I tried several times to contact state unemployment office, but could never get through. Anyway, I moved, thinking since I had changed my address, I would be contacted if anything was different. When I didn't receive my unemployment statement for taxes, I finally got through to them. Apparently, the 2010 application was considered inactive, and the 2009 info was all I could view on the website. When I changed my address online, it only was for the 2009, not the 2010, and there was nothing on there stating it wouldn't change anything else, I was told this today by the state office. They also told me that to see if I had any benefits remaining, they would have to do an audit, because they said I was not supposed to get the emergency tier benefits. The rep almost yelled at me, telling me it would take hours to audit it. I was so intimidated, I told her to forget it. When I said that, her attitude completely changed and a sweeter person you could not find. Wow, isn't that their job to see if they have done something wrong, or figured something wrong? Do I just chalk this up to someone not wanting to do their job? I guess my question is, when you have exhausted all tier benefits for a prior benefit year, are you entitled to start over on a more recent benefit year?

Hot Topic

Benefits are not endless. What you need to do is calculate how many weeks you've taken and throw in any extensions.

I suspect there aren't any "nice" employment offices. The people are exhausted from not having enough help and dealing with people who think they should drop everything they're doing and take care of their problem(s).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">