• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Term Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ChrisAgony

I have a question regarding term life insurance that I hope someone is able to answer. A while back, my father-in-law took out a term life insurance policy on my wife. Since then, she has found out that how the policy is set up goes against her beliefs and she asked him to cancel it. This led to a big fight, but eventually he agreed to cancel it. He now claims it is cancelled and she asked for proof of this. He refuses to provide us with proof. She tried contacting the financial adviser who the policy was through, but he refused to comment about the policy because her dad was the owener. Does he have a right to refuse to disclose any information, even if her only question is whether or not the policy is cancelled? I know she had to sign papers prior to the policy being opened, if that's of any help, but my father in law was/(or is) the policy owner and the sole beneficiary. Any information regarding her right to know about this policy would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although it has been a few years since I worked with individual life insurance policies, to the best of my knowledge and recollection only the owner of the policy is entitled to receive information about it.

C

ChrisAgony

One more thing...

By the way I forgot to add that this is in Pennsylvania...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Doesn't change anything, unless PA has rules that are considerably different than any other state. The owner of the policy is the only one who has a legal right to information about the policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">