• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminal cancer, employer took benefits away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mariel

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My stepmother has terminal pancreatic cancer. She worked fulltime in a doctor's office and had medical coverage. She took a turn for the worse and spent 10 days in the hospital. Without consent, her boss (a doctor) called her oncologist to find out her prognosis. The oncologist told him she would be needing hospice care soon. One week later, her boss told her she could no longer be considered fulltime in his office and she lost her insurance benefits. The office is allowing her to keep them until the end of August. My stepmom even though DYING is still WORKING every day for that doctor. Have any laws been broken here? We are all just devastated that they would strip her of her benefits at a time when she needs them most. HELP!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your stepmom needs to run, not walk, to the telephone and contact the US DOL to report a potential ERISA violation.

Beth3

Given the urgency of the situation, I'd also suggest your stepmom speak to an employment law attorney immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">