• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminate Guardianship Established in Oklahoma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

13BlessMMMnMe

I live in Alaska. I gave my ex-husband guardianship for my two oldest sons while I was homeless. The guardianship was established in the Oklahoma City court system in early 2017. The judge said I would need to retain housing and gainful employment for six months, seek behavioral health services for six months, and submit to a UA and hair follicle drug screening.

I have met the requirements though it has taken some time due to disabilities involving an increase in anxiety and depression due to separation from my children. Adding to that, an unexpected pregnancy and blessed addition to our family.

A year had passed from the start of guardianship and a year long rental lease ended for me before finally starting work where I was hired through a welfare program for a position that would last 1,000 hours (six months). I have secured an apartment with low income housing and have been living here for almost six months. I've been looking for new work since mid August and my job ended last week.

Do my efforts appear to satisfy the requirements for terminating the guardianship, aside from the sample testing? What would be the best plan of action to bring my sons home to me quickly? There is also the issue of my sons and ex (who is not their biological dad-who btw has no rights to custody as established in AK, 2010) having moved to Colorado a little over a year ago. I'm not even sure what that means for what I ought to do, living in Alaska trying to figure out the boundaries of a temporary guardianship set in Oklahoma.

I've also wondered if my sons, 14 and 15, could file a petition to end the guardianship but as with all of this I don't know where to begin. I'd like to have the help of an attorney but I'm afraid I won't be able to afford one.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

If I am reading you correctly you don't meet the employment requirement. It sounds as just as you reach the 6 month required work your job will end.

Just Blue

If I am reading you correctly you don't meet the employment requirement. It sounds as just as you reach the 6 month required work your job will end.
In addition to the drug testing.

OP: Why on earth did you decide having a baby while homeless was a good idea? Do you understand how incredibly selfish you are being to all your children?

HRZ

And depending on exactly how the guardianship is worded, you have not yet completed 6 months of employment , and to be unemployed in roughly six months will not sit well in court if that's when you seek to have it lifted.

mjpayne

I live in Alaska. I gave my ex-husband guardianship for my two oldest sons while I was homeless. The guardianship was established in the Oklahoma City court system in early 2017. The judge said I would need to retain housing and gainful employment for six months, seek behavioral health services for six months, and submit to a UA and hair follicle drug screening.

I have met the requirements though it has taken some time due to disabilities involving an increase in anxiety and depression due to separation from my children. Adding to that, an unexpected pregnancy and blessed addition to our family.

A year had passed from the start of guardianship and a year long rental lease ended for me before finally starting work where I was hired through a welfare program for a position that would last 1,000 hours (six months). I have secured an apartment with low income housing and have been living here for almost six months. I've been looking for new work since mid August and my job ended last week.

Do my efforts appear to satisfy the requirements for terminating the guardianship, aside from the sample testing? What would be the best plan of action to bring my sons home to me quickly? There is also the issue of my sons and ex (who is not their biological dad-who btw has no rights to custody as established in AK, 2010) having moved to Colorado a little over a year ago. I'm not even sure what that means for what I ought to do, living in Alaska trying to figure out the boundaries of a temporary guardianship set in Oklahoma.

I've also wondered if my sons, 14 and 15, could file a petition to end the guardianship but as with all of this I don't know where to begin. I'd like to have the help of an attorney but I'm afraid I won't be able to afford one.
So you can't afford an attorney and you're jobless again? How are you going to care for your kids if you get them back? Is your low income housing free?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">