• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated after being furloughed for months. Do I have to pay back health insurance premiums?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you enrolled in the health insurance program, you entered into a contract with your employer to pay a certain portion of the premium. You don't have to have signed a separate document agreeing to pay; you knew going in that there was a cost associated with it. The documentation you've quoted makes it clear that you were expected to continue to make your contributions. You can try to get out of paying them and gamble that they won't take any further action but they are on firm legal ground in insisting and you, frankly, don't have a legal leg to stand on based on what you've posted.

Meteor196

The OP later clarified & contradicted that original statement.

The OP "opted in" to the coverage and was required to pay their portion for the health insurance. The company was very clear about it.
So what may seem to be contradictory is that while the company claims that I'm responsible, I wanted to know what the law states I'm responsible for.

Don't count on being able to get your full severance without repaying the premiums that you owe. Especially if that will put you in a very bad spot again.
Well, it seems like I actually will have the option of taking the entire lump sum. However, I'm still unclear about whether I'm legally responsible for it, or whether they'll come after me for it in the future. I acknowledge that the safer bet is to, for lack of a better term, "square up" with them and cut communication completely. In the grand scheme of things, the difference won't amount to much, but it would just be nice to cause them a fraction of the trouble that they've caused me over the past several months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">