• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated early?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Snap71

What is the name of your state? New York

I know that in New York as most other states an employer could terminate an employee for no reason as long as there is no legal discrimination involved. What I want to know is... I was given a write up ten minutes before my last day of work before leaving on a previously approved vacation. At the end on the write up it read "Since verbal conversations with you regarding improving these areas have not been effective, as of today you are being placed on probation for 30 days. If your performance does not improve, it will result in further disiplinary action and/or termination." The day I returned from my vacation (only one week later) after being not to due any field work, but to stay in the office for a meeting to discuss my write up I was instead terminated at this meeting. Is this legal?? Can they state that they are putting me on a 30 day probation and then fire me with no chance to "improve my performance"? I'm not really looking for my job back but I was told that it is possible to fight or sue for wrongful termination or at least they would have to pay me for the 30 days of probation I was suppose to get.

Thanks in advance

Beth3

Is this legal?? Yes.

Can they state that they are putting me on a 30 day probation and then fire me with no chance to "improve my performance"? Yes.

I'm not really looking for my job back but I was told that it is possible to fight or sue for wrongful termination or at least they would have to pay me for the 30 days of probation I was suppose to get. Even if the disciplinary action was worded in such a way as to GUARANTEE you 30 days of employment before they would fire you, that wouldn't constitute a wrongful termination - it would be a "contract" violation in which case you could try and sue for the 30 days of pay in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">