• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HRZ

I did not read that OP shirked changing diapers or refused to do it on the floor ...but "if" she did then she failed to do a fundamental function of her job ( as others post too )!

LdiJ

I did not read that OP shirked changing diapers or refused to do it on the floor ...but "if" she did then she failed to do a fundamental function of her job ( as others post too )!
Maybe I did interpret that differently than you did. However she stated that the employer would not accommodate her (fired her) yet she also said that the employer considered changing the children on the floor to be a suitable accommodation. I have to assume that she refused to change the children on the floor, otherwise she would not have been fired.

HRZ

Its a reasonable guess that OP shirked getting on floor to change diapers but it's merely a guess.

We have children up to age 12, they could have easily moved me to a classroom with students that do not require any lifting or even made me a "floater"

Correct, I did not refuse to change diapers, when the director looked at my physical form and saw I am not able to do hearing lifting she allowed me to change the children on the floor there for accommodating my limitations.

HRZ

Then we are at a loss as to why you were let go....in an at will situation no reason is required .

The OP said that she could not lift toddlers, therefore making it impossible for the OP to change diapers using a diaper table. The OP clearly objected to changing toddlers on the floor. Since the toddlers have diapers to change and OP can't do it on a changing table and won't do it on the floor, that clearly would leave all of the diapering to the other teacher in the room.

That clearly demonstrates that the OP cannot do a fundamental function of her job, therefore its not a wrongful termination.
I NEVER once objected or refused to change diapers. I asked the director what my options were due to my limitations and she allowed me to change the children on the floor using the clean pad from the changing table and all other things required by the facility to change the children, therefore accommodating my weight lifting limitations.

HRZ

You can be let go for not wearing green socks of Fridays and it's not illegal .

You have not linked the accommodation to your termination

LdiJ

I NEVER once objected or refused to change diapers. I asked the director what my options were due to my limitations and she allowed me to change the children on the floor using the clean pad from the changing table and all other things required by the facility to change the children, therefore accommodating my weight lifting limitations.
What further happened after that? If they accommodated you why did they fire you?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We have children up to age 12, they could have easily moved me to a classroom with students that do not require any lifting or even made me a "floater"
Were there any openings in a classroom where no lifting was required? Was there an opening for a floater?

If there were legitimate openings that would have to be filled by someone AND you were qualified to work in a classroom with older children, then it might have been a reasonable accommodation to move you. If there was no such opening OR if you are not qualified to work with older children, then it would not be a reasonable accommodation. They are not required to dis-accommodate someone else by moving them out of their job in order to accommodate you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">