• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminated, Lawyer harassment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

markay

Hi everyone,
I need some help on a question about lawyer representation.

The organization I was working for more than 10 years fired me because my visa expired and did not payed my last salary, severance or any support.

I'm going to be short:
Executives knew that my visa expired and decided to not do anything about. After their corporate lawyer discovered, he approached me and said "I'm representing you and want to help you solve this problem" (I did not sign anything, but all executives are aware of this meeting).

I told him everything, next day goes by, he said "I'm not your lawyer anymore" you're fired and if you do anything I will deport you.
Can a lawyer do this? Should I report him?

I'm a bit lost, please help.

markay

I will get my green card soon, just waiting for the final steps.
Can I report him for saying he is representing me and then use all information I gave him against me?

quincy

Can I report him for saying he is representing me and then use all information I gave him against me?
He hasn't used any confidential information against you, has he?

markay

He used this to fired me without severance pay and I was obligated to work for 2 weeks without pay.

LdiJ

He used this to fired me without severance pay and I was obligated to work for 2 weeks without pay.
A company is not required to give someone severance pay. Many do, but it is not a requirement in the US. It is however, illegal not to pay you for the time that you worked.

Was the company sponsoring you for the green card or are you getting it through marriage or some other means?

If the lawyer really did say he was your lawyer in order to get you to open up to him, and then used that information to get you fired, then the lawyer acted unethically and should be reported to the state bar association. However, I would not do that until AFTER you get your green card.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Humor me. On what basis are you getting a greencard?

Your H1B has been expired for how long?

markay

A company is not required to give someone severance pay. Many do, but it is not a requirement in the US. It is however, illegal not to pay you for the time that you worked.

Was the company sponsoring you for the green card or are you getting it through marriage or some other means?

If the lawyer really did say he was your lawyer in order to get you to open up to him, and then used that information to get you fired, then the lawyer acted unethically and should be reported to the state bar association.
Through marriage.
Yes, he really did ask me to open up with him to help me. So I will report him and there are 4 people that is aware of what happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">