• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rebel

If a private contractor works exclusively for the government, using the government's facility, both, the physical and intellectual property (software, computers, building) and follows some of the guidelines as a government employer does, should it adhere to the government guidelines regarding the firing practices as well?

I was fired for posting on the Intranet ("using the government facility") a quotation from the "60 minutes" program: "Power and privilege corrupt the soul, said foreign minister of Bhutan." This was considered "inappropriate and unauthorized statement." Allegedly, some employees became so distressed by this Email, that they had to seek refuge in solstice (sic!), according to my employer. Yet, I believe that this represents a violation of the freedom of speech, especially because the quotation was aimed at some of the more obnoxious supervisors.

ALawyer

Freedom of speech does not give you the right to use a private employer's facilities and send messages to other employees. If the employer had a policy on this, and you violated it, absent a union or contract, you're history. If there was no policy, you have an argument that this was harsh and arbitrary, and if you are a member of a protect class, perhaps some charge of discrimination may makes sense, but being a rebel at the job often is the end of the job.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">