• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

Hello.

My child turned 18 and is still supposed to be in school and graduate this summer. My order states child support is until the child is 18 and graduated high school or 19 if child is a full time student. My child graduated high school early. Child is on longer attending school, but will attend the walking ceremony in the summer. I planned to file to terminate child support in the summer, but since child is 18 and graduated early, can I file now or wait until after the walking ceremony? Thank you for any and all advices.

paddywakk

Does kiddo have a diploma?
In CA, you can'r have your diploma before the graduation ceremony at the end of the spring term. I "graduated" early (all classes and credits completed) and the school gave me a letter verifying my status in case I needed it.

zddoodah

since child is 18 and graduated early, can I file now or wait until after the walking ceremony?
Yes. You may do either.

By the way, I assume your wages are being garnished for the payments. Otherwise, simply stop writing checks.

In CA, you can'r have your diploma before the graduation ceremony at the end of the spring term.
Sure you can. My kid did exactly that two years ago and had his diploma at least a couple months before the ceremony.

What are the EXACT words in your divorce regarding support?
Here's the wording on the order. ".must pay child support beginning .... and continuing until further order of the court, or until the child marries, dies, is emancipated, reaches age 19, or reaches age 18 and is not a full-time high school student, whichever occurs first"

Yes. You may do either.

By the way, I assume your wages are being garnished for the payments. Otherwise, simply stop writing checks.

Sure you can. My kid did exactly that two years ago and had his diploma at least a couple months before the ceremony.
My wage is being garnished.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's been a long time since I was responsible for this but if I am not mistaken, your employer cannot, by law, stop the garnishment until the agency who issued the garnishment (in this case the court) notifies them that they may.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here's the wording on the order. ".must pay child support beginning .... and continuing until further order of the court, or until the child marries, dies, is emancipated, reaches age 19, or reaches age 18 and is not a full-time high school student, whichever occurs first"
So your order DOESN'T say that you must pay support until kiddo has graduated, rather, you must pay support until he is no longer a full-time high school student. It seems pretty clear to me that kiddo is no longer a "full-time high school student", so you can expect the modification to be granted, barring some modification to the order.

zddoodah

So your order DOESN'T say that you must pay support until kiddo has graduated, rather, you must pay support until he is no longer a full-time high school student.
It says (consistent with the relevant statute) that the OP must pay until one of the following occurs:
  • The child marries.
  • The child dies.
  • The child turns 19.
  • The child is both 18 years old and no longer a full-time high school student.
Not being a full-time high school student isn't enough if the kid graduates before turning 18. However, in this case, both of the conditions are true, so I agree that the termination order should be granted.

It's been a long time since I was responsible for this but if I am not mistaken, your employer cannot, by law, stop the garnishment until the agency who issued the garnishment (in this case the court) notifies them that they may.
Correctamundo.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Not being a full-time high school student isn't enough if the kid graduates before turning 18. However, in this case, both of the conditions are true, so I agree that the termination order should be granted.
Yep - I simplified it because it was already given that kiddo was 18 ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">