• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating Father's Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am trying to find forms that will show me step by step what I need to do to terminate my daughter's biological father's rights. He has no interest in her but is unwilling to sign paperwork giving up his "rights" to her. He has never paid child support. I live in the state of Washington, he lives in Georgia.



My wife just terminated the rights of the father for my step son and it was easy enough but we used a lawyer. He set up a hearing to show cause as to why he should have rights terminated and the only requirements here in NC are that they have had no contact for over 6 months and that they make no support payments. We couldn't find him so we ran a legal notice in out town newspaper to be in court on the date of the hearing. He didn't show up and in 10 minutes it was done. It was the best money we spent. I would imagine that if you go to family court and have a motion made on terminating parental rights and do the same it would work. If you cannot contact them it's called an uncontested termination. If you know where they are and he opposes then it's contested and you have to have a hearing unless he wants to sign off on his rights. If any of the above fits then i would say you have a good case against him. If he were to have to pay for support that might be an incentive to give up his rights but only if he knows that. If you hit him for support then he will try to get visitation even though he hasn't been around at all. Get a free consultation anyway from a profesional and weigh your options ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential