• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminating lease, but roommates possibly stays

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Muyet

Muy-Maryland

I am sharing an apt with 3 other people, and my father is our co-signer. Our lease ends at the end of July. I spoke with the landlord and they said that the other roommates have to give them notice by july 1 if they intend to leave the apt or stay there. They also told me that if the roommates do not give them any notice, they would put the lease on a month to month basis. I gave notice that I want to leave and that my father doesn't want to co-sign after the original lease ends July 31. The landlord told us that if the other roommates does not find a new co-signer and a new roommate, then my father and I would still be listed on the lease, and if we don't pay and get evicted out of the apt, then not only will the other roommates' credit suffer, but my father's and my credit will suffer too.
I am wondering how is it possible for us to still be on the lease if we (my father and I) gave notice that we want to leave after the July 31 date? Is there anything we can do? How can I get out of the apt without getting my father and my credit messed up?

hope someone can help me

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">