• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminating rights of father- abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bees_knees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am a single mother. Originally from NE where the children were born and father resides. Myself and 2 kids have been Florida residents for 5 years.
I left the children's father when they were both in diapers. I was granted a 1 year protection order for me AND the kids after he assaulted us. Then I moved to FL. There have never been any court proceedings, their father has never attempted to obtain visitation rights and custody has been established only through parental acknowledgement forms at the hospital. Father is court ordered $198/mo for two kids and I get small biweekly payments, garnished from what little bit of blood they can squeeze from this turnip. There are no family law filings on record. However, In FL, I filed timeshare petitions myself. He responded but never followed up for a hearing, and the case was dismissed after 1 year of inactivity passed. In 5 years he has visited his mother who lives in FL for a week, 5 times- once annually. Once or twice he spent the afternoon with the kids but I was there to supervise due to his alcoholism. On one visit, there was an incident. He raged out and scared the kids. His girlfriend just got out of rehab, and lost custody of her child. He does not call, send Christmas or birthday gifts or cards. He is completely uninterested and uninvolved.
My fiance has stepped up and is helping me raise the kids, as their acting father. He wants to adopt the kids. Bio father refuses to consent to relinquish parental rights.
What can I do to have him deemed by the courts as having abandoned the children so we can do the adoption?
Thanks in advance!

Just Blue

I am a single mother. Originally from NE where the children were born and father resides. Myself and 2 kids have been Florida residents for 5 years.
I left the children's father when they were both in diapers. I was granted a 1 year protection order for me AND the kids after he assaulted us. Then I moved to FL. There have never been any court proceedings, their father has never attempted to obtain visitation rights and custody has been established only through parental acknowledgement forms at the hospital. Father is court ordered $198/mo for two kids and I get small biweekly payments, garnished from what little bit of blood they can squeeze from this turnip. There are no family law filings on record. However, In FL, I filed timeshare petitions myself. He responded but never followed up for a hearing, and the case was dismissed after 1 year of inactivity passed. In 5 years he has visited his mother who lives in FL for a week, 5 times- once annually. Once or twice he spent the afternoon with the kids but I was there to supervise due to his alcoholism. On one visit, there was an incident. He raged out and scared the kids. His girlfriend just got out of rehab, and lost custody of her child. He does not call, send Christmas or birthday gifts or cards. He is completely uninterested and uninvolved.
My fiance has stepped up and is helping me raise the kids, as their acting father. He wants to adopt the kids. Bio father refuses to consent to relinquish parental rights.
What can I do to have him deemed by the courts as having abandoned the children so we can do the adoption?
Thanks in advance!
Please post back after you and fiance have been married for a year or more. At this point you can not have a 3 party adoption with out BOTH parents having their parental rights terminated.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

Thanks in advance!

He is not involved ... except for paying at least some child support, on a regular basis, correct?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
This is a case of it being best to let sleeping dogs lie. If he doesn't want to be involved in his kids' lives, and he's continuing to make bad life choices, then just leave him alone.

What do you think you could accomplish with a step parent adoption that you do not yet have? Change the kids' surname?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">