• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination based on age discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

residual

I am a 17 year old Certified Nursing Assistant living in North Carolina. I am currently still enrolled in high school and holding this full time job at the same time.

Yesterday, an incident happened at the nursing home at which I am employed. Basically, each CNA is given certain rooms they are supposed to take care of, and only those rooms. Another CNA left a bedrail down for a patient. That patient fell out of bed and broke his arm. The CNA blamed it on me, when I was not even in charge of the noted patient.

Today, my boss tells me that I am too young to hold this job, and I was fired, even though I did no wrong-doing. She provided no other reasons for termination other than myself being too young. I believe the termination was based soley on my age, even though I had adequate credentials for holding the job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even if you are 100% accurate, at the Federal level if you are under 40 it is not age discrimination by definition.

Your only possible option is to see if you can convince the NC Workplace Retaliatory Discrimination Office (part of the DOL) that you have an age discrimination case.

residual

Could I be consider a minority based on the sole fact that I am 17? They have never hired anyone under the age of 18 in the history of the facility.

BelizeBreeze

residual said:
Could I be consider a minority based on the sole fact that I am 17? They have never hired anyone under the age of 18 in the history of the facility.
Put a worm on the end of that line and it will catch more fish.

YOu have nothing PERIOD!

residual

No need to be rude about it. I came here looking for advice, which is obviously what this site was made for, based on the domain name.

BelizeBreeze

residual said:
No need to be rude about it. I came here looking for advice, which is obviously what this site was made for, based on the domain name.
You are correct. It IS for legal advice. Which you were given. and when you didn't agree with you you decide to argue. So, take about $500 of your money and go find a local attorney to explain to you what age discrimination is all about.

Then come back here with a bottle of good white wine and an apology for cb for bothering with you.

residual

Grow up. Seriously. No need to be bitter to someone who comes here. Where once did I say I didn't agree? I said you were rude, not that I didn't agree.

You don't have to be a rude .. to people just because you think you are better than them.

You are a classic example of what is wrong with the internet these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. Being 17 does not make you a minority, regardless of whether they've hired people under 18 or not. Being 17 only makes you 17.

You can try for an age discrimination case at the state level if you're determined to. Other than that, you are out of luck. That is your SOLE option, as I said.

HomeGuru

BelizeBreeze said:
I'm thinking more in the lines of the 1929 Mercedes 501K or a '59 190 sl ivory with oxblood interior.

**A: ok, I've got a 2004 BMW 7 series and a 401K, does that count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">