• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NicoleR

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Do to my health problems and a need for me to cut down on work, my husband and I recently sold our home and signed a year lease in a townhome. Two months later we are now finding that I will not be able to work at all, because of this we are unable to afford our townhouse. We have called the leasing office and all other units on the property are too expensive or are upstairs. As of now all are rent has been paid in full and on time. Is there a way for us to be released from the remainder of the lease, do to the circumstances, without hurting our credit? Maybe with a document from my doctor? Also, where can I find these laws.
Thank you

FarmerJ

Nicole sorry there is no magic get out of lease law . If you did not negotiate in writting any additional terms that would allow for early termination then you have no other option but to Either find your own replacement tenant and do things like run rental ads and many other things you can read of by scrolling through the postings of others in this forum who want to break leases early and read up .

JETX

"Is there a way for us to be released from the remainder of the lease, do to the circumstances, without hurting our credit?"
*** Regretably, there are no statutes that would allow you to 'early terminate' your lease obligation due to your circumstances (or most any other one). You will have to either fulfill your lease obligations or try to negotiate some type of early termination from your landlord. If they do allow you to terminate, be sure to get it in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">