• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Parental rights question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? NY
I have recently moved to NY from WI. I was in a very abusive relationship with my son's father. My son's father is a habitual criminal and now serving time for the abuse he put me through. One of the charges is intimidating victim/threaten with force...he threatened to kill me if I called the cops. My son has seen his father 3 times since he has been incarcerated, 16 months, and that was only because "grandma" took him to see him. I left the state of WI because I feared for my life as my ex boyfriend found out I am in a relationship. "Grandma" has filed for grandparents visitation and I was served the papers the day I was leaving town. I did have a phone conference with lawyers and THEY agreed to every two months , I refused to tell them which state I was living in, though they did say once I was settled to call grandma's lawyer. I was to call grandma's lawyer and we would work out something then. I want to terminate the fathers parental rights. I am scared to do this because I fear the father would find out where I am. My boyfriend has been very supportive and wishes to adopt my son when we get married. I do NOT want my son's father to know where I am living. I have not applied for any type of assistance or for a job because I fear if I do "grandma" will find out where I am and inform my son's father. My son is 19 months and doesn't even know his father or his grandma...he has only seen them a few times in the past 16 months. Legal aid said they could assist me but I would have to apply for sole custody of my son...how can I do that without my son's father finding out where I am???? I really am scared. Thank you for any information!


Senior Member
Did you ask legal aid about that? If so what did they say? Try looking in your phone book and seeing if there are some abuse hotlines listed in the front. They may be able to give you some info but not sure. Also, you can try calling the bar association and asking if they have a referral program where you can get a consult with an attorney for a reduced fee. At least then you could write all your questions down and go ahead and get some information on what to do and how to go about this. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential