• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Texas
I live in Texas but my parental rights to my oldest daughter were terminated in Maine in 1996. Can I get my rights reinstated and where should I start?


Senior Member
I'm going to see if I can find any information but I would also copy and paste your post in the section of this forum called the Child Custody, Support and Visitation section too.


Senior Member
This is from the Texas General Statutes; Family Chapter
(there were no provisions for revocation of involuntary termination of parental rights; revocation of voluntary termination of parent rights appears to be only for a period of 11 days following the order to terminate parental rights.)

§ 161.1035. Revocability of Certain Affidavits
An affidavit of relinquishment of parental rights or affidavit of waiver of interest in a child that fails to state that the relinquishment or waiver is irrevocable for a stated time is:
(1) revocable only if the revocation is made before the 11th day after the date the affidavit is executed; and
(2) irrevocable on or after the 11th day after the date the affidavit is executed.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 561, § 10, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential