• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Rights and Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gasgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

Child is 7. Father lives in Georgia.
Father has been current on child support.
Father has seen child 5 times in 5.5 years, but not at all in almost 2 years (and has no plan to see child in near future).
Calls 4-6 times/yr. Rare Xmas/Birthday cards/gifts.
Is not paying his half of unreimbursed medical expenses ($2800), despite adequate notice/copies of paid receipts.

Stepfather has been in child's life for >5 yrs

Do I have a substantial legal argument for terminating parental rights and letting stepdad adopt? If not, what criteria must be met?

If I have no chance of that, I am going to request further visits supervised "reintroduction" for a period of time.

gasgirl

Because I am looking for resources to prepare for contacting my atty...ex is sending sob stories about not being able to afford this and that...only matter of time before CS not sent (chronically late several months).

Tired of dealing with him, husband wants to adopt.

ecmst12

Well you might have included this in one of your multiple previous threads which contain background information so we don't have to hunt for it.

From the tiny information here, no dad has not abandoned anyone, and no your husband can't adopt unless dad consents.

CourtClerk

Honestly, you guys have SO MANY DIFFERENT dramatical issues in your life, why on EARTH would you stir up some more???

Really, you guys are going to put your attorney's kids through Harvard. Go live WITHOUT some drama for a minute and see how you like it. It's nice on this side of the pond.

Proserpina

CJane

Also, y'all can certainly afford an attorney. No one here can help you with an arbitrary termination/adoption case. We ALL get tired of dealing with our ex's. There are, after all, reasons they're our ex's.

But seriously? Get over it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">