• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination of rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? ALabama

I had an affair while I was separated in 08/03. We talked of getting pregnant. she told me she was pregnant then told me it was not mine in 11/03. The child was born in 05/04. I recieved a letter in 01/05 asking for a paternity test. I found out the child was mine in 03/05. At first I had every intention of being in the child's life. I even destroyed my marriage ( we have a child DOB 10/02. She told me she wanted me in his life. Since that time she has moved out of state twice w/o my permission. She arranged for me to see him several times and didn't show up w/ no explanation. I was supposed to see him Easter and she never called. I also had to miss his b'day. I am paying court ordered child support. I was also ordered to pay back support. I have appealed this since she specifically said he was not mine and did not try to contact me. After 2 mos of unreturned calls and skipped visitation I finally gave up. I pay support but have not tried to contact her since 06/05. I have no rights. I believe she only did this to disrupt my marriage (we were working out). She doesn't really need the money and obviously doesn't need me in her life. I would like to give up all rights so I can move on with my life and family. Do I have to have her permission? Will I have to still pay support? If she doesn't agree (she enjoys conflict) can a judge still do it? Is it likely a judge would do it? I plan on joining the Army soon, so now i couldn't be very involved even if she did want it. I would like this done before I join, is there any way I can get free financial aid?


Senior Member
Yes, you would need her permission. The vast majority of the time a step parent must adopt the child.
Your rights are your to exercise whenever you chose, however you will have to continue to pay support. If you wish to exercise your rights and the ex stops you, you have to ability to go to court.


Under the Radar Member
Also - are you court-ordered to pay support? Did you ever pursue a visitation order through the courts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential