• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination os parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dakoto70

What is the name of your state? OHIO

Ok guys I need a question answered if you don't mind. I just contacted Juvenile court to find out what I need to file a motion of parental termination. Which I know can be done thanks to this board. Anyway the lady that I talked to told me I CAN NOT terminate his rights, the father can stay out of the picture 15 years no support no contact no nothing and walk back in as if he never left. I told her this is not what I heard and I want his rights terminated so he can not decided after 15 years that he can walk back in to my sons life and act like he never left. I told her fine I can't terminate his rights " just because I want to" can I terminate his rights with an adoption in the process and again she told me NO. Someone please help me with this.

Thanks

dakoto70

Please

Noone has any idea what I should do? I would like to know what my next step is? DO I have to contact an attorney with this? I thought I should be able to do most of it myself. But from what B****F*** says down at juvenile I can't do a damn thing. Please help me, direct me to web sites and I will do the research myself. Tell me to take a flying leap just point in the direction you would like me to fly (with the termination papers ) LOL. I know I am being impatient and someone will help me with this I will just have to wait.

B

Boxcarbill

dakoto70 said:
What is the name of your state? OHIO

Ok guys I need a question answered if you don't mind. I just contacted Juvenile court to find out what I need to file a motion of parental termination. Which I know can be done thanks to this board. Anyway the lady that I talked to told me I CAN NOT terminate his rights, the father can stay out of the picture 15 years no support no contact no nothing and walk back in as if he never left. I told her this is not what I heard and I want his rights terminated so he can not decided after 15 years that he can walk back in to my sons life and act like he never left. I told her fine I can't terminate his rights " just because I want to" can I terminate his rights with an adoption in the process and again she told me NO. Someone please help me with this.

Thanks
And "the lady" has a law degree from which accredited law school and is licensed to practice law in what state?

dakoto70

Thanks

Boxcar you are a savior. I knew what she was saying was not the case. Because you have told me what I should do. LOL. I contacted my child support worker and asked her what I needed to do and she was the one that told me to contact juvenile court to find out exactly what I needed to do. This lady that I talked to this morning was a B****. When she told me this stuff I told her she was wrong and I know for a fact that I can do this she told me fine hire an attorney waste your money because these judges do not grant terminations of rights. She told me go ahead and write a letter to the judge asking why they do not grant terminations. No parent can decide they do not want the other parent to be in the childs life and terminate their rights. And I told her that is were she is wrong because he has not been in this childs life for 11 1/2 years. She said he can be out 15 for all the courts care and he can waltz (yes she used this word) back in whenever he wants and if I don't like it contact an attorney and have fun. I was so angry with her that I hung up.

Boxcar can you help me, tell me were to go from here, even if it is just laws that I need to research myself so the next time I call and talk to this lady I don't sound like a fool, some stupid CP trying to be a B**** and just terminate " because I feel like it"?

So I don't rehash the story I am just scared of him being able to walk in and act like nothing ever happened, get unsupervised visitation. but I am also scared that if I do the termination it will bring him out of the woodwork and open a whole nother can of worms.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

dakoto70

Just me again

Hello, I just tried calling the lady back (actually the office and the same lady answered) I tried explaining my situation and she insisted that I can not file for termination of rights and I told her yes I can for abandonment, non support, and if needed an adoption that I would be willing to set into motion. She said Fine, Do you have a case with us? YES OK on a piece of notebook paper write your name, fathers name childs name reason for termination, send it in with $25.00 processing fee and when the judge dismisses it you are out the $25.00. Now I have told you before you can not terminate his rights for anything so if you want to waste $25.00 than go right ahead and hung up on me.

Now I know this is no legal posting I just wanted to let you guys know what I was up against. Should I call back and bother her again? See if there is someone else that I can talk to in her office (I will have fun trying to get past her)? Hire an attorney, although I don't feel this case needs one if I can get someone at that office to just tell me what I need.

Waste the $25.00 and send it in on a piece of notebook paper?

maybe today is not a good day for me to be calling up there anyway I feel grouchy and am not in the right frame of mind to be handleing a mean and obviously uneducated person.

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

That woman sounds like a raving lunatic. Have you tried searching on www.deltabravo.net?

CMSC

You need to call her back and ask to speak to her supervisor. Then get the paperwork going and do it yourself.

Could be that this woman was told NO by a judge before and thinks nobody has the rights to terminate. But she is wrong.

dakoto70

Thank you

Thank you I will be calling and asking for a supervisor tomorrow. She sounds like she is just plain angry. Maybe for some odd reason she couldn't file but I know I can. I know for a fact that he hasn't paid court ordered child support in 11 1/12 years. He has not seen my son in 11 1/2 years. he has not supported, talked too, looked at, know if son is alive or dead, nothing. I am just hoping this doesn't open a can of worms. I will go and check deltabravo out and see if I can't find something that I can quote her with when I call them in the morning.

dakoto70

One thought

could it be called something else other than "termination of parental rights"? Could she be just being picky and if I called her and asked for the papers for such and such she would be like OK? I know it is a stretch but just thought I would ask.

Thanks again

Grace_Adler

They have this on deltabravo.net too. In fact, I think if you surf through this site, it will lead you there. Not sure. But go there too.

www.calib.com/nccanch/pubs/sag/groundtermin.cfm

Also, go to the top of this page, click on the link that says "state resources" and follow it to your state's website for statutes.

Now, it may just be that in your area, people have a really hard time getting this done.

Do you think your ex would be willing to go along with this, it would probably make it easier cuz if he finds out and fights this, he can fight it and may win.

I don't know if this site is for law students and attorneys only but also go to nexus and lexus, I think that's what it is. I don't know the exact url but put it in a search engine.

Go to findlaw.com too. They have some decent info on there and you can probably find court forms to download too.

dakoto70

thank you

Thank you for all of your help I will start my research BEFORE I call her back and this way I know exactly what I am talking about and exactly what I need. If I can get the papers downloaded than I may not have to talk to this woman again. She is the person that answers the phones and directs your calls.

As far as the ex goes I honestly have to idea were he is. No contact NONE for 11 1/2 years. His family hasn't bothered to contact, either. My mom has lived in the same house for almost 21 years so if for some odd reason I couldn't be found they all know were she lives, not that they would have to go to the house but they could have dropped a letter off or if he wanted visitation he could have had the motion sent there. So as far as him aggreeing to it I don't know. I do know that I do not want him to come back into my sons life BEFORE my son is old enough to have a say if he wants to go with him or not.

Grace_Adler

Oh yeah, in some states, if the child is over a certain age, they have to give their consent to the adoption.

I think there is a way around it if you can't find your ex. You just have to look for it.

Why don't you try calling the bar association and seeing if they have an attorney referral program where you can get a consult for a reduced fee? That would probably help a lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">