• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination: Unused Vacation Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JJG

What is the name of your state? Washington

My firm was recently sold and I was terminated. While I understand that Washington is an at-will employment state with no mandated annualeave, am I entitled to any compensation for accrued, but unused annual leave? My company was small with no written leave policy, although a verbal commitment of three weeks was made and that became the unwritten standard. Also, if it makes a difference, the firm was also registered in Virginia where I had my office.

JETX

JJG said:
am I entitled to any compensation for accrued, but unused annual leave?
"Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave and severance pay are considered voluntary benefits that a business may choose to offer workers. Washington State law does not require a business to provide these benefits. Even though there is no state law requiring a business to pay these benefits upon termination, if the business promises workers these benefits and does not follow through, workers can contact an attorney or file in small claims court for their unpaid benefits."
http://www.lni.wa.gov/WorkplaceRights/Wages/PayReq/FinalPay/default.asp

JJG

Many Thanks

Thanks for providing the link. I tried to find something at the Washington Labor and Ind. website, but never thought to look under "Final Paycheck".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since you are in Washington, Washington law applies to you, not Virginia. You're better off that way, anyway. Washington requires an employer to follow their policy; Virginia law does not address the issue at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">