• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terminology Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Is there a difference in meaning between "visitation" and "custody period"?

The way that my decree is written, my ex and I each have 'custody periods' of X number of days. Is this somehow different than visitation, or is it just semantics?

LdiJ

CJane said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

Is there a difference in meaning between "visitation" and "custody period"?

The way that my decree is written, my ex and I each have 'custody periods' of X number of days. Is this somehow different than visitation, or is it just semantics?
In some ways it is semantics, in other ways it isn't. Joint legal custody is very much the norm these days (joint decision making) and more and more states are getting away from the concept of visitation...and going more into the concept of joint or shared parenting, even when the timeshare isn't 50/50...or still follows the standard, every other weekend.

That doesn't mean that its dramatically different from the old ways of one parent having custody and the other having visitation.....because most children do still primarily live with one parent and visit the other....because the majority of parents don't commit to remaining in the same school district until their children are grown....therefore for most cases a 50/50 timeshare isn't realistic. It isn't necessarily even best for many kids.

However it does recognize the inherent rights, responsibilities and value of both parents, and gives them equal decisions making rights regarding their children and equal "status" as parents.

I hope that makes sense.

CJane

LdiJ said:
In some ways it is semantics, in other ways it isn't. Joint legal custody is very much the norm these days (joint decision making) and more and more states are getting away from the concept of visitation...and going more into the concept of joint or shared parenting, even when the timeshare isn't 50/50...or still follows the standard, every other weekend.

<snip>

However it does recognize the inherent rights, responsibilities and value of both parents, and gives them equal decisions making rights regarding their children and equal "status" as parents.

I hope that makes sense.
This is where I get confused - and I don't like being confused about my parenting plan - especially a year later.

My ex has 'sole legal custody'. However, with the exception of that phrase, the entire plan is written using a joint-agreement template. (He only really wanted to be able to control their religious upbringing.)

We have a 60/40 split, with me being the one who has the kids more often. While I know this isn't always the best arrangement, it's worked VERY well for the past year, and the kids are thriving.

The wrench in the works is him getting married and moving. I posted about that before, so I won't bore everyone with the details.

It's his responsibility, as the party who is moving, to present me with notification in the form of a certified/return receipt letter. This notification must include, not only the new address, but also a new parenting plan. (this is in the decree)

What I'm attempting to come up with, not knowing what he'll propose, is a parenting plan of my own, stating what I want to have happen, so that I have a response to him very soon after he makes his proposal.

What I would like to propose to him is that the kids stay in the same school/daycare that they're in now - and that they've attended since the oldest was 2 - and that he simply take on the extra driving burden that his move will cause. This increases his commute from 5 minutes to more like 30, but since he's the one moving, I think it's fair that he take on the driving. It also makes his commute almost exactly what mine is. He only takes the kids to school 2 mornings per week, so it's not like this would be an every day drive for him.

With him moving, neither of us will actually live in the school district, but if the kids attend the local daycare, this isn't an issue.

I want something fair to both of us as parents, but also in the best interest of the kids. And, in my opinion, I think changing as little as possible is the best option. Our divorce has been final for just over a year, and I think that dad moving and getting married is enough to deal with, without changing schools/leaving their friends on top of that.

Does this sound like something that would be acceptable to the average judge if we end up in court? Does it sound as fair as I think it does?

LdiJ

CJane said:
This is where I get confused - and I don't like being confused about my parenting plan - especially a year later.

My ex has 'sole legal custody'. However, with the exception of that phrase, the entire plan is written using a joint-agreement template. (He only really wanted to be able to control their religious upbringing.)

We have a 60/40 split, with me being the one who has the kids more often. While I know this isn't always the best arrangement, it's worked VERY well for the past year, and the kids are thriving.

The wrench in the works is him getting married and moving. I posted about that before, so I won't bore everyone with the details.

It's his responsibility, as the party who is moving, to present me with notification in the form of a certified/return receipt letter. This notification must include, not only the new address, but also a new parenting plan. (this is in the decree)

What I'm attempting to come up with, not knowing what he'll propose, is a parenting plan of my own, stating what I want to have happen, so that I have a response to him very soon after he makes his proposal.

What I would like to propose to him is that the kids stay in the same school/daycare that they're in now - and that they've attended since the oldest was 2 - and that he simply take on the extra driving burden that his move will cause. This increases his commute from 5 minutes to more like 30, but since he's the one moving, I think it's fair that he take on the driving. It also makes his commute almost exactly what mine is. He only takes the kids to school 2 mornings per week, so it's not like this would be an every day drive for him.

With him moving, neither of us will actually live in the school district, but if the kids attend the local daycare, this isn't an issue.

I want something fair to both of us as parents, but also in the best interest of the kids. And, in my opinion, I think changing as little as possible is the best option. Our divorce has been final for just over a year, and I think that dad moving and getting married is enough to deal with, without changing schools/leaving their friends on top of that.

Does this sound like something that would be acceptable to the average judge if we end up in court? Does it sound as fair as I think it does?
Yes, it sounds fair...however you are going to have to deal with more issues when the kids start regular school (unless that is already a factor and its private school)....so NOW is probably the time to deal with those issues. If the kids or some of the kids are of regular school age whatever goes in place now will most likely be the long term schedule until they graduate....so look ahead. Don't just plan for the next couple of years but plan for the long term.

CJane

LdiJ said:
Yes, it sounds fair...however you are going to have to deal with more issues when the kids start regular school (unless that is already a factor and its private school)....so NOW is probably the time to deal with those issues. If the kids or some of the kids are of regular school age whatever goes in place now will most likely be the long term schedule until they graduate....so look ahead. Don't just plan for the next couple of years but plan for the long term.
The kids are 8 and 4. Second grade and starting kindergarten in the fall. It's public school.

I have no intention of leaving this area anytime in the future. I'm very secure in my job, the school district that the kids are in is fantastic, we have friends and family very nearby, etc. This is home - and that's not something that I anticipate changing. I'd imagine I won't be in this exact house forever, but I'll be within easy driving distance of their school/my job.

LdiJ

CJane said:
The kids are 8 and 4. Second grade and starting kindergarten in the fall. It's public school.

I have no intention of leaving this area anytime in the future. I'm very secure in my job, the school district that the kids are in is fantastic, we have friends and family very nearby, etc. This is home - and that's not something that I anticipate changing. I'd imagine I won't be in this exact house forever, but I'll be within easy driving distance of their school/my job.
When then you definitely have an "edge". So be smart and get yourself an attorney and exploit that "edge". Because I am pretty sure that dad expects/plans to move the kids with him...to the new school district.

Be proactive. File now if you plan to stay in the school district. Get a consult with an attorney ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">