• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TERRIBLE STORY - please please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CA

I've been asked to try to help this girl, but I have no idea how to approach it.

She is one of those mail order brides. She has a citizenship of Kazakhstan, but is currently in Russia. In 2003 she married a guy from San Diego who is a LAWYER by the way. A year later she got pregnant and when he learnt of that, he insisted they go back to Russia for some false reason, removed her Advance Parole (document allowing an alien to re-enter the US) without her knowledge and fled back to the US, where he timely terminated her green card application and notified her that she is on her own. He also refused to sent her whatever documents and possessions she had, marriage certificate included.

The girl just had their baby in January. No means of support. Noone will hire a pregnant woman or the one with a small child in Russia, especially being a citizen of another state. She currently lives off her friends mercy.

The question is, how can she get the child support from this guy? She has no address in the US and needless to say, she cannot afford a lawyer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.


Senior Member
First would be to get a copy of the marriage certificate. If they got married in San Diego, a copy of the marriage certificate can be ordered by going to the county website or where ever they got married.
She can order replacement Immigration documents or go to the cousulate. http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/faqsgen.htm
She can apply for, divorce, and child support through her county of residence while married San Diego, http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/courts/trial/courtlist.htm
Some of this can be done online.
Hopefully she can get an attorney to represent her and her husband will have to pay for the cost. Also go on line in San Diego and see if he has files and family law actions in case he is trying to divorce her without serving her.
Here is a California based organization providing legal assistance to Russian immigrants, if they can't help, perhaps thay have some referals, there are both emails and a phone number http://www.jfcs.org/Services/New_Americans_and_Emigre_Services/Legal_Assistance/
Keep us updated also others may have other ideas, but getting a copy of the marriage certificate and replacing the immigration documents is the first step.


Junior Member

Thank you for your advice.

We will look into that. Unfortunately, immigration documents cannot be restored. She applied to the US consulate for help on advance parole, but they said they do not have any info or electornic files saying that she had obtained her advance parole or that she has had her green card interview. What the consular people told her that since she does not physically possess her green card, she needs assistance from her husband in negotiations with the authorities, who like I said TERMINATED the green card petition after they had an interview, but before she receieved the card. He thought it all through. Took her to Russia at the right time and abandoned her so that she does not have a chance to go back. The US will not protect an alien, who does not have any legal rights here, so it seems like she does not have any recourse against him.
The thing which is most important now is making him pay child support. The child benefits in Russia is like $10 a month.
How easy is it for him to divorce? Can he do it without her signing any papers?
It a great advice on marriage certificate. I will look at the sites you referred to though, maybe I will find there something esle that might help her.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential