• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Test drive car damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grandmasteryang

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I went on a test drive and took a turn too fast (after the sales guy told me to 'open it up' but still my fault) and went off the road. There is damage to the side skirt and some of the underside. Initially the salesman said that the dealership's insurance would take care of it.

I got an e-mail from him later saying that he would like my insurance information. What would be the best course of action? Should I get somenoe to appraise the damage and possible pay for it cash (so I don't have to have my insurance premium get increased)?

Am I obligated to give them my insurance information? Is just paying the dealership's deductible on their policy an option? Thanks for your input!

StephenH

As the driver, you are responsible for this damage. What has happened is that the dealerships insurance company wants to bill the actual person who is reponsible for the damage which is the test driver (you).

I think that they are trying to bill your insurance company for it. If you would like to pursue a cash settlement, call up the dealership's insurance company who is handling the claim and offer to pay the full amount of the damage in cash, and explain that you would rather pay for the damage yourself instead of sending it through your insurance company. As for paying just the deductible I don't think that this is an option because you are not an employee of the dealership and therefore not covered under their policy completely.

grandmasteryang

As the driver, you are responsible for this damage. What has happened is that the dealerships insurance company wants to bill the actual person who is reponsible for the damage which is the test driver (you).

I think that they are trying to bill your insurance company for it. If you would like to pursue a cash settlement, call up the dealership's insurance company who is handling the claim and offer to pay the full amount of the damage in cash, and explain that you would rather pay for the damage yourself instead of sending it through your insurance company. As for paying just the deductible I don't think that this is an option because you are not an employee of the dealership and therefore not covered under their policy completely.
I understand. Thanks for the info. If I think that the cost of repair is more than what I think it should be, what would be the best approach to getting my own appraisal? Try and find a body repair shop that they are okay with?

swrdmbo

If it is a car dealership they are not going to allow ANY OTHER place to fix it.It will be done at their body shop and my guess id you are going to be paying those rates.Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">