• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Landlord / Tenant Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Texas

I've been renting my apartment for approximately 3 years now. I've never been late paying rent. Most months I'm a week, sometimes 2 weeks early making my rent payment. I always keep everything clean inside and yard is always mowed and well kept and made various improvements on the property and in the house. I could go on and on.
I've called them a few times for repairs such as my ac unit going out which took them over a week to fix in the middle of summer. I had to pay for a hotel room because it was too hot to stay home. I've had a busted window since day one that still isn't repaired. The ceiling leaks through the light fixture which also has caused sheetrock damage that they lied to me about fixing (have them on security video using mud to patch a hole caused by the water holding in the attic), I sent them pictures of mold in the attic that they refuse to even comment on that's spreading all through the attic.
Recently, my lease came up and they sent me new lease and I noticed it was only for 6 mths so I called and they said I told them I was moving (I never told them that). So they extended it by 1 month for a 7 mth lease because they said "its good for marketing". So now I have to find a place to go.
My rent is due on the 10th of the month. I get a Pay or Quit notice monthly saying I have 3 days to vacate. The notice is threatening and insulting since I am never late on my rent payment, not even by 1 day. Their response was I am the only tenant that pays on the 10th and their advice to me is to ignore the notices. Im so mad about this but I'm scared to say anything since I have no where to go if I was to get kicked out. Are they harrassing me? What should I do?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Texas

I've been renting my apartment for approximately 3 years now. I've never been late paying rent. Most months I'm a week, sometimes 2 weeks early making my rent payment. I always keep everything clean inside and yard is always mowed and well kept and made various improvements on the property and in the house. I could go on and on.
I've called them a few times for repairs such as my ac unit going out which took them over a week to fix in the middle of summer. I had to pay for a hotel room because it was too hot to stay home. I've had a busted window since day one that still isn't repaired. The ceiling leaks through the light fixture which also has caused sheetrock damage that they lied to me about fixing (have them on security video using mud to patch a hole caused by the water holding in the attic), I sent them pictures of mold in the attic that they refuse to even comment on that's spreading all through the attic.
Recently, my lease came up and they sent me new lease and I noticed it was only for 6 mths so I called and they said I told them I was moving (I never told them that). So they extended it by 1 month for a 7 mth lease because they said "its good for marketing". So now I have to find a place to go.
My rent is due on the 10th of the month. I get a Pay or Quit notice monthly saying I have 3 days to vacate. The notice is threatening and insulting since I am never late on my rent payment, not even by 1 day. Their response was I am the only tenant that pays on the 10th and their advice to me is to ignore the notices. Im so mad about this but I'm scared to say anything since I have no where to go if I was to get kicked out. Are they harrassing me? What should I do?
https://guides.sll.texas.gov/landlord-tenant-lawThe LL MUST follow the Texas LL/Tenant laws. All of you questions are answered in the ^ link.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">