• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas medicaid and lonestar card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texasatx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am new to this I just recently got my daughter on medicaid and got food stamps for my husband me and my daughter. First was wondering if we have to pay it back. My husband doesn't work right now he is starting his own business and times where hard with no money coming in. As soon has he starts making some income from his business I want to get off but my mom said we shouldn't have got medicaid or food stamps because we have to pay it back once you get off. Can someone in texas help me please

NIV

Do you need food and medical care or do you not need food and medical care? If you need it, I am uncertain over any concern about you needing to pay it back or not. If not, why did you sign up in the first place?

Medicaid is not the same as Food Stamps. There will be different rules depending on the exact programs you are getting. A start in looking up the answer to your question is at:

https://hhs.texas.gov/services/questions-about-your-benefits

henbob6

Health Centers in your area

You might consider making an appointment for a physical at a federally qualified health center (FQHC). Their staff is often well-versed in local Medicaid programs.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/chpr/fqhcmain.shtm

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I am new to this I just recently got my daughter on medicaid and got food stamps for my husband me and my daughter. First was wondering if we have to pay it back. My husband doesn't work right now he is starting his own business and times where hard with no money coming in. As soon has he starts making some income from his business I want to get off but my mom said we shouldn't have got medicaid or food stamps because we have to pay it back once you get off. Can someone in texas help me please
Your mother is incorrect. You do not have to pay back Medicaid and food stamps once you get off of them. I think that she is getting your situation mixed up with situations that happen when parents are unwed and the ncp is not paying child support. Sometimes the ncp has to pay back the benefits. You however are married and qualified jointly, so you do not have the same issues.

ecmst12

No, you won't have to pay back your benefits. They will periodically ask you to recertify your income to make sure you still qualify. Once you get back on your feet, you just let the state know that you no longer need assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">