• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas red light violation - photographic enforcement system - local authority may not issue civil or criminal charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Texas. I received a letter in the mail for a traffic camera violation in the city of Humble, for which they claim I did not come to a complete stop before turning right on red.

According to the Texas Transportation Code 707.021, “A local authority may not issue a civil or criminal charge or citation for an offense or violation based on a recorded image produced by a photographic traffic signal enforcement system”.

However, the law allows municipalities under contract with third party operators, to continue running them until they expire. The ticket is for a Texas red light violation, however the mailing address is Seattle, Washington and Tempe, Arizona.

From the Humble police website:

"Failure to pay the civil penalty or to contest liability by the due date on the Notice is an admission of liability, and failure to appear at an administrative adjudication hearing after having requested a hearing is an admission of liability and constitutes a waiver of the right to appeal. Failure to pay the civil penalty by the due date on the Notice of Violation shall result in the imposition of a late-payment fee of $25. If the second notice remains unpaid, collections proceedings may continue."

From what I understand, if I do not pay, they will send it to a collection agency. When they send to the collection agency, can they put it on my credit? From what I gather, they cannot even pursue this with a civil suit.

Additionally, If I request a hearing, will they really take the time for a hearing where they cannot issue a civil or criminal citation?

PayrollHRGuy

This story is on Texas in general and Humble specifically.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/verify/verify-red-light-camera-tickets/285-106f0e90-2157-479c-96c3-ba5ac76268b3

Sgt. Burt says if the city turns them off, they could be penalized. But that does not mean you will.
“There are no ramifications. If you do not pay the ticket, we can no longer hold your registration. We still have a collection agency that we deal with the City of Humble. So, if you do not pay the violation in 90 days, you automatically get a collection letter from that agency,” Sgt. Burt said.
He said paying the ticket is voluntary.
So, we can Verify, if you do get a ticket for a traffic camera violation in Humble, you do not have to pay it.

This story is on Texas in general and Humble specifically.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/verify/verify-red-light-camera-tickets/285-106f0e90-2157-479c-96c3-ba5ac76268b3

Sgt. Burt says if the city turns them off, they could be penalized. But that does not mean you will.
“There are no ramifications. If you do not pay the ticket, we can no longer hold your registration. We still have a collection agency that we deal with the City of Humble. So, if you do not pay the violation in 90 days, you automatically get a collection letter from that agency,” Sgt. Burt said.
He said paying the ticket is voluntary.
So, we can Verify, if you do get a ticket for a traffic camera violation in Humble, you do not have to pay it.

Thanks for your response.

I have near perfect credit. And I want to be sure, if I just ignore the notice, the collection agency will not report to the credit agencies? Since sectionals say payment is optional or voluntary, I will assume it will not effect my credit score.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">