• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas sibling insurance rights

• Thread starter Michael Krueger
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Michael Krueger

What is the name of your state? Texas----My step father recently recieved the money from my mothers life insurance after she died. I believe he plans to keep it all. My mother would not have wanted that, but never put this in writing. She only stated it a couple of times to us before she died. My stepfather is the legal beneficiary of the insurance. What legal rights do siblings have to this money in Texas if any?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To the best of my knowledge, the only person who has a "right" to any life insurance money is the person listed as beneficiary, regardless of what state you're in.

Let me amend that. I believe that in some states, the SPOUSE has a right to a portion; specifically how much being determined by state law. I am not aware of any state where a child or a sibling has a guaranteed legal right to life insurance proceeds if they are not listed as a beneficiary.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">