• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Small Estate Affidavit Query

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starthere1

How long does it typically take for a judge/court to approve the SEA (in TX), and is it mailed or can be picked up?

Also, I understand that automobiles and home furnishings amongst other items are exempt - what exactly does that mean? Exempt from being collected from creditors? Protected?

Lastly, for family members who paid for funeral expenses - are we first in line to receive (as creditors) from the estate?

Thanks so much....

zddoodah

How long does it typically take for a judge/court to approve the SEA (in TX), and is it mailed or can be picked up?
Only a local practitioner (or someone employed by the court) is going to be able to answer this question intelligently.

Also, I understand that automobiles and home furnishings amongst other items are exempt - what exactly does that mean? Exempt from being collected from creditors? Protected?
My guess is that you are confusing bankruptcy exemptions with the probate process. Those exemptions have no relevance to the probate/estate process.

Lastly, for family members who paid for funeral expenses - are we first in line to receive (as creditors) from the estate?
Yes.

zddoodah

As for question #2, you are right. That's what I understand it to mean. Likely different I assume?
Yes. As indicated, bankruptcy exemptions have no relevance to the probate process (except in extremely rare cases where a decedent's estate files bankruptcy).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">