• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas ticket law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrandiL

What is the name of your state? Texas

I received a ticket back in March for failure to yield. I checked before pulling out, but a police officer turned onto the same road from the street before me right after I started pulling out. The stop sign was set back and obviously the officer accelerated quickly after turning onto the road. I quickly realized that he was going fast and stopped in the middle of the road in a yellow striped area. I did not impede him going past and the vehicles coming the other way were far enough off that they didn’t have to stop. But since I was in a yellow striped area I was barely even in either of the lanes. After he passed I pulled onto lane, he then pulled over waited for me to pass and then pulled me over.

I tried to take care of the ticket but the officer never turned it in. He finally turned it in and I got a letter for a court date for arraignment. I have 2 questions.

1. I was told on top of the ticket fine of $200 I would have to pay $100 in court fines. Even if I don’t go to court I still have to pay the court fees. They said it is a fee required by the state of Texas. Why do I have to pay court fees even if I don’t go to court?
And if I decide to plea not guilty and go to court will there be additional court fees on top of the fees I am already having to pay?

2. I feel like it wasn’t justified since I did not block anyone. What is the likely hood I could even win this if I tried to fight it? Or do I have the wrong view on my guilt?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1. I was told on top of the ticket fine of $200 I would have to pay $100 in court fines. Even if I don’t go to court I still have to pay the court fees. They said it is a fee required by the state of Texas. Why do I have to pay court fees even if I don’t go to court?
The court is already involved.
And if I decide to plea not guilty and go to court will there be additional court fees on top of the fees I am already having to pay?
I don't know - somebody else will likely advise on this question.

2. I feel like it wasn’t justified since I did not block anyone. What is the likely hood I could even win this if I tried to fight it? Or do I have the wrong view on my guilt?
If you had already begun your maneuver in to the street prior to the officer actually turning the corner, then I agree with you. I wasn't there, so I don't know if the officer was already on the street or not...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">