• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

That dead horse.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NellieBly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Here I am riding in on my dead horse of an issue. As you may know, I was fired by my evil boss.

I applied for and immediately was granted unemployment compensation. That's a nightmare. In Western MA, you have to either file online or via telephone. The telephone system makes you input your information before telling you there are too many callers in the queue and disconnecting the call. Otherwise I'd ask them!

But anyways, I discovered I am eligible for my pension, as I am over 55 and have been there over ten years.. (Despite Mr. Union Lawyer telling me I'd lose it)

Can I still receive unemployment? I didn't retire, I was terminated.

adjusterjack

Answered by Question 5 at the MA website:

5. Do social security benefits, pensions and other retirement payments affect my Unemployment Insurance benefits?

Your benefits may be affected by pension payments you are receiving, except for Social Security retirement benefits. You must report to DUA that you are receiving a pension and will also need to provide documentation to DUA including the amount and source of any type of pension or retirement payments when you file your claim. If your eligibility for benefits is affected, you will receive a Determination Notice explaining the law as it applies to you. In order to be receive UI benefits, you must be able to work, available for work and looking for work.
http://www.mass.gov/lwd/unemployment-insur/resources/questions-and-answers/claimants/benefits-faq.html

Chyvan

was granted unemployment compensation.

I am eligible for my pension,

Can I still receive unemployment?
Just depends on the amount of the pension offset vs your UI benefit.

http://www.masslegalservices.org/system/files/library/1400.pdf You can use the examples at 1424(L) to get a rough idea of how it will affect you. It's a rip off though. While you may only get half your UI check, MA is going to ding your claim as though they paid you the full amount off your claim.

I didn't want to read the whole thing, but you might want to wait on taking your pension until after you've drawn your last UI check.

NellieBly

Just depends on the amount of the pension offset vs your UI benefit.

http://www.masslegalservices.org/system/files/library/1400.pdf You can use the examples at 1424(L) to get a rough idea of how it will affect you. It's a rip off though. While you may only get half your UI check, MA is going to ding your claim as though they paid you the full amount off your claim.

I didn't want to read the whole thing, but you might want to wait on taking your pension until after you've drawn your last UI check.
That's what I thought...collect unemployment and then take my pension. There's literally nobody to ask because the phone center is unreachable.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Western MA, you have to either file online or via telephone.

As opposed to...?

MA uses, or at least used to use, a system based on the last number of your SSN. If you want to call, you have to do so on the day assigned to your number, or on Fridays, which is an "all number" day. You can go online, or use a walk in center, any day of the week, but calling is, indeed, a nightmare in Eastern MA as well as Western.

NellieBly

In Western MA, you have to either file online or via telephone.

As opposed to...?

MA uses, or at least used to use, a system based on the last number of your SSN. If you want to call, you have to do so on the day assigned to your number, or on Fridays, which is an "all number" day. You can go online, or use a walk in center, any day of the week, but calling is, indeed, a nightmare in Eastern MA as well as Western.
That's just nonsense. They still have the same number of poor, unemployed souls calling. They just shuffle them into categories.

Man, this system is broken.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
That's just nonsense. They still have the same number of poor, unemployed souls calling. They just shuffle them into categories.

Man, this system is broken.
That can probably be blamed at least in some part on what "they" have to deal with on a daily basis ...

Jes' sayin'.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it's not nonsense. Without some sort of system, every one of those lost, lonely souls would be calling them at 8:00 on Monday morning. At least this way they have a fighting chance of getting to everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">